Missing Information? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Missing Information? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Turbo Owner in VA
Unregistered guest
Posted From: static-71-166-159-170.washdc.east.verizon.net
Posted on Saturday, 03 February, 2007 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've only been a Bentley owner for about two weeks now and have noticed something a little odd. I have the parts and workshop manuals in PDF format (from multiple sources) and I've noticed that something's missing: There's no chart in the parts manuals showing what the names of the parts are or their functions. Most other parts manuals (for other makes) list the part number and the corresponding name of the part. From this you can deduce the function. With these parts manuals for the Bentley, you get a picture of the part and a number, from which you can often deduce the function, but not always. Am I just missing it?

For example, a previous owner (chassis 26545)bypassed the switch that sits on top of the thermostat housing, I assume to keep the electric cooling fans running. (I haven't checked this 100% yet). Wanting to replace the switch, I look it up in the parts manual and find that its UE 44169. That's fine. The problem is, from this information alone, I can't determine whether this is a switch for the fans, the sender for the in-dash temperature gauge or some other sensor altogether. What have I missed?

I just happened to note that Flying Spares lists the UE40361 (which is mounted further down on the side of the thermostat housing) as the "SENDER COOLANT TEMPERATURE GAUGE" so I can deduce, by exclusion, that there's a good chance that the switch I'm referring to is indeed for the cooling fans. However, I can't be sure of this as there are five different temperature sensors in that same area of the car!

I'm sure that later, when dealing with more complex parts of the car, this could present a problem. I hope I've just neglected to download a file or something to that effect. Ideas?

--Rob Hook

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
New User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 03 February, 2007 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rob, Two replies for this.. . .

The parts manuals were designed to be used by R-R dealers not owners, and before intergrated parts & prices worked.

The dealers would look up the part number then check the price of the part and that would (usually) give a better description of the part.

Frustrating!

They were not designed to work backwards to find the function of an unknown item on the car. After all . . . why would you order something that you don't know what it's called or what it's for!

Most of the time it is clear what you want from the picture but not always. Unfortunately people try to order from the number they have taken off the parts manual. This often leads to the wrong part or complete assemblies been ordered and prices quoted that are completely wrong.

I always ask what it is that the people want/expect from a part number.

This week I've given somebody a price for a part number (£950) which came up as a condensor and fan assembly. When questioned, thay just want the condensor without the fans, probably about £300. Plus shipping UK to NZ will be halved.

The answer: When ordering - say what part you want. Don't do it by part number alone. Say you think it may be . . . . but you can't be sure. Many parts numbers have been changed & changed & changed again! A quick check of a part number may come up as NLA (no longer available ) or be much more expensive than a later part.

(Also - Spare a thought for the poor parts man trying to decifer your request and the parts nmanual! )

Good luck with the fans.

Paul Yorke
New User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 03 February, 2007 - 18:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two . . . .

Just wondering why the fan switch as been bridged!

The switch should only operate the fans when the water temperature becomes VERY hot.

Putting the fans on continuously is often a quick fix to another problem.

Viscous coupling not working properly.
Radiator core not circulating water properly.
Radiator fins blocked or crumbling.
Are just a few that spring to mind . . . . .