Engine Missing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Engine Missing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hameed Noor Mohamed
New User
Username: hameednoor

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2006 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Silver Spur II 1990 125,000 kms.

Bought the car over the summer. Newspaper ad. Did the unthinkable! Did not get it checked out. Knew there would be problems and decided to take a chance. And I am no mechanic. Have no technical knowledge on cars. I had a Ford Expedition out for sale and the previous owner suggested a swap. So I swapped the Ford for the Rolls with no exchange of cash. Part of the deal was that he change the viscous fan to reduce the noise.

Since then, I have changed the alternator, front brakes, transmission fluid and differential oil. Also put in STP fuel system cleaner.

The car misses frequently under load. Switch the AC off and it is smoother. Hesitation when moving from a stop. Rough idling. The previous owner changed the fuel pump and the injectors. He tells me that the injectors were not the exact part nos. slightly different but they work. Not too many mechanics out here in Dubai want to touch RRs. The dealer is not only expensive but doesnt care too much. My lights were not working and he wanted to change the lamp control unit. The fault was a loose wire which my local mechanic found out. BTW, my local mechanic is a ex RR technician. He is good with the older cars and will not touch any electronics. As my car has seen a round of mechanics in Dubai, courtesy the previous owner, who mainly did band aid fixes, the mechanic has a poor opinion of the car and in fact refuses to diagnose the missing problem. He says the car has been "prostituted". At last, the Bosch service center in Dubai has a service advisor who is willing to go through the diagnostic procedure step by step. My car will not hook up to his computers and he is willing to go the manual trouble shooting route. I have a week off in early Jan and I plan to spend it in his shop (my wife hates me)to try and correct the misfire. Any tips or pointers. BTW i have also changed all the plugs.

Thanks everybody on the forum. After going through all the articles and technical downloads, i have a fair idea of how cars work and things to look out for. I have ordered a workshop manual CD for my car. Atleast now I can make intelligent conversation with my mechanic