Rear suspention too firm Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear suspention too firm « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry Halpert
New User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 24 September, 2003 - 13:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As you are probably realizing, there are 2 sets of spheres. If the rear spheres are depleted, which will cause a hard ride, they are located above the rear wheels accessible from the rear seat/trunk trim.

If fluid seems to be leaking around the manifolds, it might be dripping down from the rear pump located on top, towards the rear of the engine.

The locations & diagrams of these parts would be included in the 80-89 Illustrated parts manual. I have one available if you want to find those parts.

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Glynn
Experienced User
Username: glynn

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2004 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

on the Spirit.
Are the spheres charged when you buy them ? enabling a simple change over, or is it a bit more complicated than that??
My car seems to have a ride quality of less than I think it should, you can feel the bumps, the cars height thouh is good and it takes 30 - 45 pumps of the brake pedal to put the warning lights on.
I really look forward to reading any replies.

Thanks in advance

Glynn

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2004 - 07:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The number of pumps of the brake pedal required to illuminate the warning lamps have nothing to do with the condition of the rear spheres, but only only indicates the condition of the two front main spheres. The rear suspension spheres are pumped by the levelling system with LHM oil from the main system to adjust the standing height, but do not contribute to the braking system in any way. They are the heart of the gas rear spring system on your car.

Yes, new spheres always come fully charged, and you throw the old ones away. You should pay no more than £ 59 for each of the two rear spheres. Changing them is straightforward. Do you have the manuals ? If not I can send you some useful PDF files to help.

RT.

Glynn
Experienced User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2004 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard,
The PDF files would be very helpful. Also, what effect do new/good spheres have with regard to ride quality as opposed to worn out ones ?
How many spheres altogether are there and where ?
If you could send the files to e mail address below it woul be excellent, thankyou once again.
Glynn
enquiries@leylandcleaningservices.co.uk

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2004 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll send the files tomorrow as I must extract them from my discs by devious means.

The spheres have various locations depending on the model: which year is yours ?

All these cars have four spheres in total. The two main large accumulator spheres are forward (and very cheap at £35 each ready to fit). On Spirits until 1990 they are located skew on the right hand front of the engine crankcase, and on Turbos and later Spirits etc skew on the left hand rear of the crankcase. The two gas spring spheres are located horizontally opposed above each rear spring, and are accessible after removing the panel at the front of the luggage compartment.

The rear spheres are crucial to ride. Replacing bad ones will transform your ride from that of a Ferguson tractor with a broken seat to that of a Rolls-Royce. You will be amazed at what you have been missing.

Glynn
Experienced User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 10 July, 2004 - 22:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thankyou Richard,
I really appreciate your help, just what is it that makes good spheres on the rear suspension transform the ride, in other words what do they actually do to the suspension. Also what should I expect to pay for the rear spheres in UK.

Thanks

Glynn

Glynn
Experienced User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 02:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
Did you manage to get the pdf files for me ? I am about to order some new spheres and a little info would be very welcome.

Regards

Glynn

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 03:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have finally yesterday worked out how to do it and I shall send you the files tonight if I can. I had to acquire a pdf generator tool, and installed it yesterday. Now I'll sift through and find the most suitable pages. Could you remind me of your chassis number ?

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 240
Posted on Saturday, 17 July, 2004 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Files sent. Let me know if you need more information.

Glynn
Frequent User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 18 July, 2004 - 03:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Files recieved.
Thanks very much I will read them this weekend.

Regards

Glynn

Clive Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.21.70
Posted on Friday, 09 December, 2005 - 05:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Glynn,
I noted your enquiry re. rear spheres. Richard is well ahead of me on the technical advice but I have just one tip that may help. My spheres were on very tightly and in the limited space were quite difficult to undo. My tip is have some old towels handy to protect your carpeting if you have not taken them out. As I unscrewed the spheres quite a lot of fluid ran out and the towels placed under the sphere stopped the fluid running down the rear wheel arch. By the way the front spheres were even harder to undo!!!

Happy comfortable motoring,

Clive

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Yet to post message
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 10 January, 2007 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you put a drain tray under the suspension bleed nipple (2 on early cars) and leave it open while you do the job, you should not have the problem of lots of fluid going everywhere. ( The rear of the car may drop when you open the bleed nipple, so make sure neither you or the tray get crushed! ) You can access it laying on the floor so no need to jack up etc.

Anthony Gaeto
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.73.63.239
Posted on Friday, 01 August, 2003 - 10:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

on my 84 spur the ride heigh of the rear wheels seeem very hard and bounces going over speed bumps also it is leaking brake fluid and I think that is because of high pressure in the leveling system are the ride height controllers likely the problem and are they rebuildable?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, 01 August, 2003 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anthony,

Most likely cause of hard ride is loss of gas pressure in the spheres which are part of the height-control system - these are non-repairable and will have to be replaced.

Bill Coburn
Frequent User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, 02 August, 2003 - 00:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

May I say that if you subscribed to Tee One Topics you would have seen the solution to this problem. David' diagnosis is correct the gas springs are depleted. As a final check try bouncing the back of the car with the bumper it should be firm but springing. Where is the brake fluid leaking?

Anthony Gaeto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 04 August, 2003 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would call it firm but bouncy at the top of its trave range. I falls to a minimum height setting overnight and rises again once the brake pressure lights go out. the fluid seems to be leaking in the manifold areas on both sides. where are these spheres located at and what color are they usually?

Thanks for your help
Anthony Gaeto

anthony gaeto
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 04 August, 2003 - 01:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

one more question are the spheres rebuildable? do you need any special tools to rebuild them?

Thanls again
Anthony Gaeto

Bill Coburn
Prolific User
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, 16 August, 2003 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anthony My apologies for not replying sooner. Can't imagine where LHM is leaking near the manifolds. On Spirits the spheres are at the right front of the engine, one is horozontal under the exhaust manifold and the other slopes away from the front of the block towards the front of the car. They are painted about army green. They are very easy to change with a chain wrench to unscrew them. The Citroen people do recharge them which requires special equipment but as they last a good time it seems not worthwhile. The things have so little capacity compared with the old Shadow demountable ones that I wouldn't risk any loss of performance by keeping old units going! The spheres are sealed units by the way. As to the rear end you may have defective struts as well as exhausted spheres. The solution is get yourself a pressure gauge and have some fittings made up and test the various pressures. Let me know if you require more info.