RE-CON AIR COMPRESSOR FITTED BUT HA... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » RE-CON AIR COMPRESSOR FITTED BUT HAVE PROBLEMS!!!!! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rodney Peach
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2006 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have fitted my re-con compressor ,started the engine and oil sprayed out from around the clutch and the clutch is spinning with everthing switched off I think the clutch should be still is this correct? I have not gased the system yet can anybody please give me some advise.
Thankyou

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 661
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2006 - 12:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rodney,

In the normal course of events, the clutch should be disengaged if the A/C was switched off. You can check the clutch operation by applying power to the clutch terminal and you should hear clicks as the clutch activates and deactivates when the power feed is removed.

Did you evacuate the system with a vacuum pump before starting the engine?

I do not think the A/C compressor would like pumping against atmospheric pressure and this is probably why the oil spewed out due to back pressure far greater than the seals were intended to handle. You will now have to do a "leak test" on the system to see if the compressor seals have not been damaged by putting it under static vacuum and seeing if it will hold the vacuum over 24 hours or longer if possible.

Rodney Peach
Experienced User
Username: rodney

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2006 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,
Thanks for your help , I never realised I fitted the pump I put 200mls of oil in and started her up then it started spewing oil from the front seal ,I was going to charged the system up afterwards .I took the compressor off today and as I thought front seal gone ,But there is no oil in compressor again !!But it did not all spew out only some, Now what can I do when I refit the compressor again how much oil do I put in?? in the workshop manual it says 310ml then 175mls when overhauled etc etc? So when I fit the compressor again I do not start her up ?? until charged the system?
Please give me your advice which is the best way to do all this.
Regards Rodney

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 663
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2006 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rodney,

Suggest you should flush all the old compressor oil out of the system and do a full replacement when charging the system with refrigerant - details on how to do this are in the A/C section of the relevant workshop manual for your car archived on this site.

The reason the "overhaul" oil replacement is less than the full system replacement is the fact that the oil is distributed throughout the system in use and is not solely confined to the compressor. When the compressor only is overhauled, the oil replacement is for what would normally be in the compressor during operation as the oil elsewhere in the system has not been removed.