Help!! Mineral Oil Question and some ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Help!! Mineral Oil Question and some updates for those interested « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
Experienced User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2006 - 16:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some of you may remember me talking about paint awhile ago, well I got my car painted... Just got in back from the shop after being away for almost a month I guess where they did some other things from interior thing to exterior tightening up of a few parts.

Well, I drove the car all day yesterday, and I was cleaning her up today and rasied the bonnet, and low and behold, one of my mineral oil reservoirs is low, almost down to "min" mark but not quiet - the other reserverior has not moved since I got the car several months ago. Well, I am freaking out! I dont have any mineral oil on hand (stupid me - that will not happen again) I will get some Monday. No warning lights are on, so I think I am ok. I am not sure why the decrease in fluid, however I do have a weepy strut I have been told.

Question: can I drive it to the mechanic about 5 miles away on Monday to get him to add some mineral oil? Am I being stupid and overly cautious? What kind of mineral oil does a 82 Spirit take anyway, I want to sound somewhat informed. The owners manual does not give specifics other then "castrol Mineral oil" and warns to never use RR363. How do I put it in? Do I fill the little receptical and then the fluid seeps in?

Help!

On a brighter note, the car is generally running great!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 732
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2006 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason/ No problem, you can actually empty one reservoir and still have brakes providing the other system is working. I assume that in the morning when you turn on the ignition both brake lights come on and that they go out shortly after the engine starts.

The oil you require and there should be two bottles in the battery compartment. Castrol has always been the supplier. It is termed Hydraulic System Mineral Oil Plus. The same oil is used by Citroen and some model jaguars. The Castrol bottles (500cc) come with a purpose designed spout which is inserted in the side of the filler covers. Your car may not have the latter. Anyway step one is to get the mineral oil and then get back to me if you wish. <technical@au.rrforums.net>