1992 Silver Spur II Fuel level Sender... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1992 Silver Spur II Fuel level Sender sensor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lance Mueller
Yet to post message
Username: lance_mueller

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 20 September, 2006 - 22:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for any help.

For 1992 Silver Spur II, my fuel guage has been acting funny, I fill up - it goes dead, run about halfway through the tank and then comes back on and flutters back and forth, etc.

Per great feedback from very knowledgeable members I easily pulled the rear trunk sections (tool holders, etc)and found the area that the fuel level sensor apparatus is in. I pulled it out and found what looks like a computer type board (small - about 3/4 inch x 1.5 inch) where three contacts rub against flat type wire on the board. I called RR parts dealer and the part was available but they said I had to go to a dealer to have it calibrated so it works with the dash/onboard computer. I am at least 2 hours away from any dealer. Question - Is there another way to do this and/or if I do just install the sendor/sensor and not "calibrate" it, will it work and just be a little less accurate or will it not work at all. Also the fuel guage/sendor does work now at low levels of fuel but when I fill it up it just goes to dead. Can I fix or re-wrap this type sendor? Sure does not look like I can but I am game to try anything. Does not look like a normal "winding" and more like a computer board.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ANY HELP.

Lance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Sunday, 24 September, 2006 - 00:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know why your dealer says that it needs calibration. There is no calibration possible for the gauge as it is a conventional rheostat and electric meter readout as in a MkVI and Bentley Azure alike.

The only electronics unique to the fuel level measurement system are in the dashboard module, and are to provide a signal low fuel level lamp and possibly for the trip computer. To my knowledge the signals to them are not adjustable either, but I may be wrong. There are certainly no electronics in the boot !

Bung the new sender in. Assuming that the readout gauge itself is not faulty, the worst case is that your trip computer may be a little out.

To emphasise my point, the attached diagrams are valid from 1989 until at least late 1996 cars.

RT.

Fuel sender wiring diagram:
application/pdf
Fuel Sender1992-1993_PDF.pdf (17.2 k)

Fuel sender location and sketch
application/pdf
Fuel_Sender_Location_1992-1993.pdf (15.1 k)