So this is what we have decided to do... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » So this is what we have decided to do... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
New User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2006 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am changing the fuel pump
the alternator
draining the a/c and recharging
and power washing the undercarriage in order to identify if any serious leaks.
We are changing a battery cable
----
the problem I am having is the only reputible rolls mechanic in my area is a pebble beach kinda guy. Thats good and bad. I dont want a pebble beach car, I want a driver.
---
So lets see if the fuel pump changing will remedy this problem when the car gets hot. If not, I fear I may have to llimit my driving of this car to the cooler months, or at night.
--- does anyone here have a car that really doesnt like heat (other then all rolls royces)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 691
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2006 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason

Having read your various posts I would offer the following. The Pierberg fuel pumps on these cars are notoriously noisy moreover they run for as long as the ignition is switched on. So if you stop and can't hear the pumps that is a good start.

I am hopefully fixing a very annoying fault on my Spur at the moment with similar symptoms. When I start cold in the morning quite often it will run for a few seconds then conk out, restart and the same thing happens sometimes 3 or 4 times. Alternatively having got it running on fast idle after a few minutes it loads up slows down and stops and the bitch will not start. Our local NRMA man quickly diagnosed the problem as flooding!!! After nearly wrecking the starter the thing started spat a lot of black smoke cleared its throat and ran perfectly.

I think the problem is in the carburetter float needles. After standing all night the soft 'rubber' tips on the needles stick to their seats and fuel can't get in. There is enough fuel to give it a kick but not run! Eventually the cranking and swearing shake the needles off their seats and all is well. But then sometimes the reverse happens, the needles dont shut properly and the thing floods.

I too had the pump fail in the middle of nowhere and that has now been replaced by an after market item. I have pulled the whole induction system off and have kits to do the carburetters including the needle valves. We will see.

I do assume you have cleaned out and replaced the filters under the floor and on both carburetter intakes?

Jason Pfeiffer
New User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 27 July, 2006 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Bill, thanks for your great post!

Well, I can not tell you exactly what all was done to the car, however I do think the guy that I had do my "buyers check" was very very complete even suggesting that I re hand the bonnet which is off by such a small amount, no one but himself would be able to notice.

Remember that I was driving this car in about 110-115 degree heat, it had not been driven in a week, it probably had pretty old gas, and it had just gone through our US Smog test stuff, which hooks the car up to a contraption, and runs the back wheels...

I hope that this will fix the problem!!