2 Questions - struts & leaks... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 2 Questions - struts & leaks... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
New User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2006 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So, I guess this quesion is about the same thing... How leaky can leaky rear struts be? I have been told that I have a "weepy" left rear strut and before I spend $800 US on it, I just thought I would ask. And how much general leakage is acceptable?

And, in the meantime, If I just monitor the level of mineral oil, should I be good no matter how much leakage occurs (within reason of course)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2006 - 15:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In MY opinion (pls note mine)it would be most unusual to get a vapour lock in the continuous flow fuel system used with the HIF carburetters. The Pierberg is pushing fuel through moderate restrictors at 7 psi in a continuous stream around the engine and back to the tank. That said cars for I think Japan actually have fuel coolers utilizing the air conditioning system but I think that is part of the emmission control system.

As to the struts the ones on my Spur are leaking that is the bottom pad/platform is always damp with hydraulic fluid. They still damp perfectly and the amount they leak so far is minimal. I haven't heard of a complete 'blow out' has anybody else?

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 599
Posted on Tuesday, 25 July, 2006 - 15:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No leaks but some very slight dampness this is for the lube of the seal.
oil leaks look worse due to the spread.
It may be some time before the level drop is noticeable in the reservoir.
Tip have the ride hieght changed slightly up it may just stop.
Use the car and see if it gets better or worse.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2015 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi
take a look at this
http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/27-sz-motorcars-1980-2003/7121-rear-strut-mod.html
Mike

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 646
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2015 - 07:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

General Rule of Thumb.
Oil leaks.
If a an assembly doesn't leak any oil whats so ever then the oil has probably all leaked out.

If the car doesn't drop oil when parked after a run then the oil leaks are acceptable.

A little bit of oil goes a long way.

Monitor the reservoir level.

Burst seals in rams only happen if over loaded which is not possible in this case however if the gas springs spheres are not charged then the shock of a pothole could do bad things to the strut. The coil spring does nothing except hold the rear bumper off the floor when parked.

Check carefully the leak off pipe, they go brittle and crack. Not expensive and quick to fix diy.