Help!! New Spirit and I need some ad... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Help!! New Spirit and I need some advice « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Pfeiffer
New User
Username: jpsnaggs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So, I finally got my 82 spirit the other day. A friend from Los Angeles sold it to me, and fluffed it up, and completely serviced the car, to include all new breaks etc. This guy put lots of work into the car. I am going to try to explain what happened as best I can, however I am NOT at all technical, so bear with me.

About an hour after driving the car, on a very very hot day, 110 degrees or so in Arizona, city driving, stop and go, the car died. I felt some hesitation - somethine like hickups for a mile or so, but more like hesitation that I could feel in the gas pedal - and the car just shut off - no power steering etc. Luckily, I was near a mall to pull in to, so I was fine.

Well, the car would not start - so I called for a tow, and took it to the local mechanic. I think in the process of trying to start the car, I must have drained the new battery down as well.

In the morning, after hoooking up the battery to a charger, the car started right up, and seems fine, however I have not driven it. The mecahnic where it is now has done some diagnostic test, and can not find anything & suspect the fuel pump - the guy I bought it from says that he does not think it is the fuel pump and that all those parts checked out fine. the guys I bought it from states that this had happened to the original owner once before, and it turned out to be some kind of fuel pump fuse relay thing (remember I dont know what I am talking about) The guys I bought it from wants to come and pick the car up (he is a friend of mine by the way) and make it right, no matter what it takes, out of his own pocket. The other mechanic wants to start fixing the problem by just changing the fuel pump and hoping that is it.

Both guys are very upstanding - both have been in business for awhile - however the guy I bought the car from probably has worked w/ alot more cars, just due to where his shop is.

Other then this "little" problem, everyone seems to agree that the car is in pretty good shape.

Any ideas on how to proceed? OR who I should go with? Thanks in advance.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 91
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 14:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Others will probably respond with suggestions for your particular problem. Even though your are "not" technical, it would be a good idea to have the workshop manual for the car. I have it available on CD, and would give you a good understanding of what people are talking about, as well as helping should you try to do work on the car yourself.

Please let me know

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 594
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2006 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jason,
As to your prob it may well be a relay or pump once hot breaking down also maybe the ignition system, however lets start at the begining.

First get a flow test just before the carbs carried out if this has not be carried out, this will confirm the fuel filter and pump opperation are working first.
If ok then testing is a must under load conditions.
If ok then have the ignition system checked out.
The electrics ie ignition system may well be at fault so must rule out the fuel first to confirm.
This may be one of the probs that only occure when everything is hot!
The ballist if fitted may give similar running fault[hot] but would fire up and stop each time the switch was let go.
So sad that this has to happen on your first drive,do not despair