Alternator Swap for Delco CS144 by Ri... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Alternator Swap for Delco CS144 by Richard Treacy Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2024 - 22:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Below is a post I found from Richard Treacy back in 2014 about an almost direct swap out of the original alternator for a Delco CS144.

Is this still applicable today?
(We're talking about my 86 SZ Spirit s/n 14,xxx
It appears applicable)

Subtle alternator failure may be the starting issue I have, for quite some time, (intermittent failure to crank and blowing the starter fuse- low volts equal higher draw current) may be tied into a subtle failing alternator and low battery voltage.
Went many days without issues but noticed the volt meter dropping down into the sub-12 volt range occasionally. Added a voltmeter to the cigar lighter socket as a double check and it followed the panel volt meter. Rarely see charging voltage of 13 volts or more now (especially at idle). Had the alternator rebuilt by a good local shop 2 years ago

Did some multimeter voltage checks at the fuse panel and see very low 9 to 10 volt readings on the starter fuse power with a battery voltage also down near 11.8 volts (basically a dead battery) showing that the battery is in fact not charging even thought the alternator warning light never illuminates on the panel once the engine is running. Illuminates before starting however.

I am thinking that there is just enough alternator output to extinguish the warning light but not enough to keep the battery fully charged under hot driving conditions. Weather here may be a factor as we are in the high 30s to low 40s C right now with elevated under hood (bonnet) temperatures. Didn't have issues in winter.
Wish I had a scope to view the output on to check the diodes live on screen.

Thinking now of swapping out for a Delco rather than the French made original (IIRC Motorola base design) even with a fresh rebuild of it if I went that way.

Have the battery on charger now over night to verify that the starter engages easily with a full battery in the morning.

Here below is the post cut I found from 2014--

Yes, Omar, it is a GM / Delco CS144. No secret. You may choose any rating between 89A and 250A, but 140A is about right for the standard single 11mm A-section drive belt applied to our cars. You may buy the standard finish (my preference), but chromed or coloured ones are offered for hot-rodders.

I have 140A CS144s in my Turbo R and Continental R. When I bought the Conti, the first thing I did was to trash the original alternator and fit a brand new one for good measure.

The CS144 fits all SZ Turbo cars and all SZs from the 20k-series onwards. The new ones are vastly superior to the early CS144s, with far better bearings and desirable Schottky diode stacks in place of the more usual straight silicon ones. Schottkys have a very low conducting voltage drop of around 1,5V so do not heat or age like standard 0,7V silicon power diodes. With the improved bearings and Schottky diodes, these alternators last forever. Depending on what is offered, you may need to fit the original drive belt pulley to the new unit as most come with a serpentine pulley nowadays. That is simply a bolt-unbolt effort as the shaft dimensions are always identical. You will probably need to enlarge the power cable eylet from the vehicle's wiring loom with a drill as the terminal’s diameter on 140A alternators is about 1mm larger than on a lower-rated one. The control and indication plug-socket is unchanged. On some, you may need to drill out the thread on the tensioning bolt hole of the alternator as Crewe has a nut and bolt fitting whereas most Delcos have just a bolt with the thread in the alternator. Otherwise, any CS144 fits straight in and has all the correct dimensions. Fitting is a 15 minute job as long as you align the brackets. Fitting is curious the first time, but afterwards you can do it in the dark (as I have done on the roadside at midnight with only the underbonnet light, replacing diodes on a gravel road half way from Sydney to Canberra a few years ago on my Turbo R, but plonked in a new alternator the next day for good measure).

Repaired, exchange, overhauled or secondhand starters and alternators are for mugs when new ones with a warranty are so cheap and available.}

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 874
Posted on Tuesday, 18 June, 2024 - 22:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff, what alternator is fitted at present? Richards post is for 20000 series cars onwards. UK spec used CAV alternators pre 20000 series but I am not sure of US spec cars.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2024 - 04:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It came with a French version of a Motorola alternator and it is not putting out enough juice to keep the battery charged. Might have a blown diode or two. At least that's what it looks like in testing.

I stopped by my local alternator GURU shop today and we are working up a CS 130 unit with 100 amps. It will entail cutting the top mount to 1 inch instead of 2 inches (to match the current alternator), opening the bottom mount hole for the bolt to pass through. It will also have a pig tail to connect the spade connector on the gen light wire. A true plug and play install.

The old French alternator doesn't have parts support over here so repairs are hard to come by

We decided on the CS130 due to case size as it is smaller in diameter than the 144 and I really don't need 140 amps. Case dimensions and mounts all look to be equal to the French unit.
Also mentioned was trying to drive large amp alternators on one V groove pulleys

Won't be able to put it in until next week but then I'll try and include pics of the install

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4273
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2024 - 08:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff,

If you have problems posting pictures here, just email them to me at drh14434@yahoo.com.au and I will post them here for you.

Regards David

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2024 - 10:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK sounds good Thanks!

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, 19 June, 2024 - 10:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just had a call from the alternator GURU and his build up is done a ready for delivery. 5 HOURS from dropping it off and not even asking about high speed delivery!!!
Just picked it up and it looks like it came right out of the new box.

Its set for 115 amps. Can't wait to get it in and see how it works out. Even the GURU wants to see it and test it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: