Transmission gear change box cover re... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Transmission gear change box cover removal???? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, 01 January, 2024 - 20:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone ever removed the tranny gear change box cover without removing the entire unit from the vehicle? I need to clean/lube one of the microswitches and don't want to remove the entire unit from the car.

The workshop manual only shows complete removal

I also don't see the cover gasket available anywhere.

I can use RTV if I have to but want to hear if anyone has gone in there with the box in place on the transmission.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 865
Posted on Tuesday, 02 January, 2024 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff, I have overhauled the switches on a couple of these. I think it would be near impossible to change the Microswitches and set the clearances in situ. They are fiddly to get right. The microswitches are standard Burgess, Cherry etc and inexpensive. I reused the original gasket with a smear of sealant.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2024 - 02:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff,
I changed the four gear change actuator micro switches in the GM400 transmission on our car with the gear box in situ.

Can't remember too much about it as my records indicate it was in 2012 and I haven't listed the type of micro switch used. Possibly I had some "in stock".

Rather than RTV how about instant gasket? Don't know if it's the same as RTV.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, 05 January, 2024 - 16:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

THANKS for the postings!
I have a lift rack that I can use and I'll take a look to see if "I" can do it. Getting on in years so it might be beyond my shoulder lift possibility :-)

They look to be standard switches that I can source over here without too much trouble but I'm going to just clean them with contact cleaner and check for mechanical condition and gap (.020) before I take anything apart. I've had the same type switches go bad on airplanes and a squirt or two of cleaner fixed the problem.

I know my problem is in the bottom right switch (controls the starter relay coil) as the fire in the wire stops there. Every other switch/contact works fine in tracing the fire. This is only an intermittent problem so if I can't fix it with cleaner I may just put a bypass switch in the engine compartment in the left rear area so I can just lean out and push it when the switch fails to work Right now I have to go out and remove the relay on the right side to jumper the starter relay contacts.

We have RTV gasket maker over here that seems to work pretty good and I hear Honda has the same in their formula and it might be even better. Now that I now the cover can be removed in place I can go to the lift with less tools the first time
I have to dig into the workshop manual to see if they use any lube on the cam.
Thanks again and I'll report back so maybe it helps someone else out in the future.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, 06 February, 2024 - 02:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I put a work around in until the problem gets too much to handle. Right now its only occasionally happening.
I took a relay socket with leads and jumpered it into the starter relay socket and adding two wires that carry the Normally Open points over to the left side of the engine compartment to a momentary push button switch (20 amp rating) mounted so I can reach it from the drivers door just by unlatching the engine hood. The circuit is "hot" all the time so I added a 30 amp fuse in the hot lead on the right side where the relay is to protect the wires crossing the engine compartment .
For now it seems to do the job needed for the short run
It bypasses all the switches in the starter circuit and I am aware it bypasses the "In Gear" starting protections. Caution will always be observed.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, 13 February, 2024 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff
A thought.
I don't what the symptoms are with your car but on our 1990 SZ I had problems with intermittent contacts on the gear selector switches behind the steering wheel.
I cleaned, Servisol switch cleaner, and re-tensioned the contacts.
Lots of sparks if you don’t disconnect the battery.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2024 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for the "thought" but I have checked those switches already (do the easy stuff first :-) All the switches work except the one on the transmission Tracked it down by tracing wires and power path.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: