83 Spur Float chamber drain valve rep... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 83 Spur Float chamber drain valve replacement. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daryl White
New User
Username: 1of45

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2022 - 15:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, I’m wondering if I could replace this float chamber valve from the bottom of the fuel weakening device with a standard one way valve as I’m missing the original one.

Also, Does this drain the overflow from the fuel weakening device go through the valve and go to the ground or is there another pipe that returns the excess fuel to the tank. Still a novice here.

Thanks Daryl - SCAZL0008DCH06856

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2022 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have no idea what the original valve's "dump weight" is, but provided you have something that lets the dump occur (and, barring malfunction, it should never occur) without backing up you should be fine.

It dumps straight to the ground. There is no return because this is really an emergency overflow control. If you ever have something coming out of that valve you need to check your carb floats.

By the way, where was your car originally delivered? I can never keep straight exactly which markets still were using the SU carbs in the very early 80s SZ models. In the USA, it was all fuel injection by 1983.

Brian

Daryl White
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2022 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That’s a huge relief,thanks Brian. My car was originally delivered to Hong Kong but lives in Melbourne Australia now. It belonged to Stanley Ho and is optioned with the glass division. I believe that its one of 45 made 83-86. The car been laid up for years and I am slowly getting it ready for its first start ( new fuel pump,lines and tank removed and recoated inside) After It’s first couple of starts I will get the SUs restored.
Thanks again, Daryl.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2022 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daryl,

You're quite welcome. Yes, the Silver Spur with Division was a very rare car indeed.

The "shorthand chassis number" for your car that is derived from the VIN is LAD-06856. See: SZ Chassis Number Derivation from VIN

I think yours is the only Spur with Division that I've ever seen mentioned over the years.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2022 - 06:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Daryl,

I trust you aware of the endemic problem with used prestige cars from Hong Kong from the time it was a British territory.

These cars were usually chauffeur-driven and had low mileage recorded which superficially attracted potential buyers until they purchased the cars and then found they required a comprehensive strip down and rebuild of the engines due to excessive wear far in excess of what would be expected from a low mileage vehicle.

The reason for this was the driver had to stay with the car all day and some times into the evening as well while the owner attended eclectic business and personal activities.

Given the hot and humid Hong Kong climate, the drivers would remain in the stationary vehicle with the engine running and airconditioning on for their personal comfort.

End result was a low mileage car with extensive engine wear which became the reason for the car being sold to an unsuspecting international buyer unaware of the real reason for the original owner disposing of the vehicle at what appeared to be a very attractive price compared to the price of a similar vehicle in their home country.

Quite a few cars in this condition came to Australia and became a "money pit" for the local purchaser who had not done their homework bedore purchasing the car.

Following the British hand-over of Hong Kong to the Chinese Government, the number of second-hand cars imported from Hong Kong appears to have substantially decreased.

Daryl White
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2022 - 17:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tip Brian.
Hi David, the car was imported around 2006, I brought it a few months ago. After reading copious amounts of information on the internet I am now well aware that there may be some serious problems ahead. The plan is to get it running and on the road, hopefully with help from my friends in the car industry, I can get there. At least at the moment I’m saving it from the wreckers yard.
Thanks for your advice.
Daryl.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: