83 Spur rear parcel tray refurbishment. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 83 Spur rear parcel tray refurbishment. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daryl White
New User
Username: 1of45

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 17 November, 2022 - 20:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My rear window has to come out so I thought that it would be a good Time to recover the parcel tray with some new material. I’m just wondering what others have used to cover theirs. Hopefully I can find something that is UV stabilised. Are they different materials for Spirit/Spur, different colours as well ?
Thanks 🙏

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2022 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

are you only re-covering or replacing the substrate material as well? I need to replace mine and was wondering what type of board is recommended

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2022 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That mahogany door skin material is pretty stable, any sort of fibre board, or anything made from sawdust and glue, seems to warp very easily from temperature change and humidity.

A plastics shop would have something very stable, but difficult to glue to.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 813
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2022 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The correct wood material for a substrate is baltic birch plywood. It is multi layered with real wood and when thinner is used as door cards. Cabinet and marine repair shops is your best bet for material. Anything less will fall apart and warp.

Daryl White
New User
Username: 1of45

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, 05 December, 2022 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Marine ply around a 1/4 inch would probably last the longest,

Mine has blocks of wood as well, plus 1/8 inch foam on both sides.

A couple of picks for those starting from scratch. LAD-06856

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: