Another Alternator Issue Looking for ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Another Alternator Issue Looking for any help I can find « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2022 - 10:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1986 Silver Spirit USA delivery K-Jetronic Injection
Had the alternator rebuilt and it works fine on the test bench (twice) Dead on arrival when I brought it in to the shop.
Mount it on the engine and it doesn't come to life (only battery voltage at the alternator) with engine running
GEN light on switch panel stays illuminated when the engine is started. ,

I have power (12V) going into the GEN light on a WS wire and out on a NY wire, From there the 12 volts in the NY wire doesn't appear on any NY wire that I can test
Have checked NY wire at alternator and no voltage to alternator there. MAIN heavy N (brown) wire does have battery voltage with key on so I'm not getting fire up voltage to armature to get alternator to start supplying amps/volts
Have checked all diodes on diode plate by Fan Control Module and they are good.

Have traced wire from alternator (small NY) to right hand engine bay plugs (below rt a/c fan) so it is good
At that plug where it goes through the firewall into the car I get no voltage at the connector from inside that corresponds with the NY wire running to the alternator as it should

I have EVERY wiring diagram available up to the 30,000 cars and none of them show a WS wire to the GEN light bulb (in) or a NY wire out of the bulb going to the alternator. So none of them are for MY particular vehicle

What I do have on one full Spirit wiring diagram that I have is a notation of a "Regulator Earth Relay" on the left hand side of the diagram with one wire from the GEN light to it but using a NLG wire (brown/light green)
THIS relay is not denoted on any electrical pages or manuals I have and I've looked at them all
I have about memorized all the various relays in these cars trying to find this really.

SO THE QUESTIONS ARE -
Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram that shows a WS wire into the GEN light and a BY out of the GEN Light?
One that matches my SZ wiring? OR-
Does anyone know where that Regulator Earthing Relay is located? Or even if MY vehicle has one?
Many of the alternator system diagrams show 3 wires out of the alternator BUT I only have 2 - A large N (brown)
and a small NY (brown/yellow trace)

If I could just find the correct wiring diagrams this would be a simple task
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2022 - 01:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found the correct wiring diagram at Alber's in Zionsville
Once found it was a quick fix
Shorted relay coil on the Starter Interrupt relay that wasn't shown on any diagram I had
The relay is behind the speedometer on this model Rolls (1986 USA)

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 826
Posted on Friday, 11 November, 2022 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the update in the diagnosis of the problem, it may help others in the future.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: