SZ brake accumulator replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » SZ brake accumulator replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Routledge
New User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, 20 October, 2022 - 22:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
I'm going to replace the accumulators on my '82 S/Sp and I'm sure I've read somewhere that they are self bleeding, is that correct?

Thanks for any reply.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 825
Posted on Friday, 21 October, 2022 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roger, there is a valve that you loosen on the Accumulator valve block that bleeds the accumulator back to the reservoir. Crack the valve on each valve block and run the engine for a few minutes and then retighten the valve.I do this a couple of times. I usually bleed the accumulators as a service item. The detail is in the workshop manual.
Mark

Roger Routledge
New User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2023 - 04:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
6 months on and I have just removed my accumulators yesterday. I have removed the complete units and separated them on a work bench.

My question is, one of the valves has been replaced which is painted black the other is painted green which I am assuming is possibly an original, is there any way that you can tell if the valve block was playing up.

I was getting only about ten pedal presses before the lights came on otherwise all appeared to be okay.

In the manual it talks about using gauges but I haven't got that equipment.

Thanks for any reply.
Roger

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4191
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2023 - 10:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The ten "pedal press" outcome is a sure sign the accumulators need recharging/replacement as appropriate to their condition.

Have you downloaded a free copy of the Spirit Workshop Manual from our Technical Library?

https://rrtechnical.info/sz/05_sz.html

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, 09 May, 2023 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the Citroen world these are throwaway items. They are IDENTICAL to the standard accumulators used on many LHM Citroens.

Alan D.

PS. DON'T do them up tight - hand-tight is plenty. If you don't believe it, try undoing a sphere when there is even a small pressure in the system.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3327
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2023 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan Dibley wrote, in part: PS. DON'T do them up tight - hand-tight is plenty. If you don't believe it, try undoing a sphere when there is even a small pressure in the system.

Amen to that!! I only wish that everyone would read the torque tightening figures in the respective workshop manuals (or IETIS) and actually follow those.

While what's specified is a bit beyond "hand tight" it's still not by much. And "really hand tight" will, in all probability, work just fine, thanks.

More is not necessary and more is not better. Good enough works, and is what the engineers who designed this stuff specified.

Brian

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2023 - 08:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So that it's here for future reference. Torque tightening figures for the accumulator to ACV from TSD4700:

TSD4700 Torque figures for accumulator

Note: It's the same in later IETIS as well.

Brian

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2023 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a quick thought
I was under the impression that the accumulators (brake and ride) were under different air pressures?

Am I correct in that thought?
I haven't had to replace mine yet but it may come up in the near future.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2023 - 12:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are correct.

Also note, and note well, that although both the brakes and suspension use what can be generically termed accumulators, Crewe uses that term ONLY for the ones used in the braking system.

The ones used in the suspension (which are lower in pressure) are always referred to as gas springs in the Crewe-issued documentation.

They also have different shapes, too, with the gas springs being larger and more ovoid:

accumulator and gas spring

These are both used in Citroen cars, and the markings on many available today are Citroen and they're most frequently painted grey, not green. The pressures are also most frequently expressed in bars.

Gas Springs: 14 bars 203 PSI

Brake/Hydraulic Accumulator: 60 to 64 bars 870 to 928 PSI

You can find these values documented in the Workshop Manual.

Brian

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, 10 May, 2023 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was chatting at a car show on Sunday, apparently JCB use a lot of accumulators on their machines.
Mike

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2023 - 01:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

I believe you are in the UK. What, if I may ask, is JCB (as in full name or type of business)?

The question becomes are they using pre-charged, disposable accumulators such as are used on the SZ series cars, or something that they need to maintain and charge.

This could, in theory, make them a source for nitrogen recharging for SY accumulators for DIY rebuilders if they actually do this routinely for their own.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2023 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian

To answer your first question JCB are the initials of Joseph Cyril Bamford, later Lord Bamford. In the 1940s he founded a tractor company and invented the first hydraulic tipper. The company now has about a 50% share in earth moving equipment worldwide.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2565
Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2023 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, JCB Fastrac spheres run a lower pressure ie 26-35 bar most Citroens run higher pressures ie 55-75 the RR Spirit sphere pressure you will have.
Best value for replacements new spheres is Lizarte IMO have fitted all 7 to the C6 with no probs

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, 11 May, 2023 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, I don't think lizarte do them anymore
ok.
Yes Brian I live in Staffordshire UK the home of JCB, cheers Mike

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, 29 May, 2023 - 08:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
Have a look at my post "Spheres cost" posted Oct 2021
Regards,

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: