88 Silver Spur electrical short Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 88 Silver Spur electrical short « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dennis Buchholz
Yet to post message
Username: bariman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 11 September, 2022 - 07:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please help. I jump started my 88 Silver Spur and ever since I have been blowing the 10 amp fuse (B4) that covers the fuel gauge, temp gauge, oil pressure gauge and brake pressure lights. I have disconnected everything I can find on this circuit but it still blows the fuse. Something is shorted to ground but I can't find it. Has this happened to anybody else? I am at the end of my rope.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 764
Posted on Sunday, 11 September, 2022 - 17:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How many times do I have to say NEVER jump start one of these era cars?
I'm guessing you have melted the instruments voltage regulator.
Mike

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, 11 September, 2022 - 17:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That fuse also powers the parking brake light the coolant level amplifier, the washer fluid amplifier
low fuel warning lamp and buzzer

Dennis Buchholz
New User
Username: bariman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2022 - 22:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the help. This is my first experience with this type of car and I didn't know about the no jumping rule. These lessons can get expensive.

I have located the short, which is in the buzzer for the seatbelts (picture attached).

Now I find that the fuel gauge reads empty, the oil pressure and oil level gauges read high when the engine is off and zero when the engine is running. Where is the instrument voltage regulator and what does it look like?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, 12 September, 2022 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is no specific "voltage regulator" for the instruments. The VR is after the alternator so everything is regulated. I would read the workshop manual for your car. You will find answers within.

https://rrtechnical.info/sz/05_sz.html

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, 07 November, 2022 - 00:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also look for shorted relays.
I had fuse B3 popping and traced it to a shorted relay by swapping a good new relay for each relay one at a time. For testing you can pull one of the wiper relays and begin swapping one at a time.
You might also have blown or shorted diodes on the diode board that might be attached to the Fan Speed Module underneath the steering wheel knee roll.
Sorting out electrical issues on these is challenging

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: