EUREKA !!! A/C Fans Issue Finally Fi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » EUREKA !!! A/C Fans Issue Finally Fixed ! (I think) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 12:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After weeks of effort (with a few off for medical things) nights of no sleep, anger and frustration I think I have finally figured out the problem of no fans running inside for the A/C

I have traced many many wires, study all the electrical diagrams until I'm blue in the face (boy do I know the system now) and jumpered relays trying to find the issues.

Sometimes I would disassemble connectors and reconnect them and all of a sudden the fans worked. Shut the system off and retry it and no worky. :-( :-( Chasing my tail a lot of the time.

Traced and tested the wires numerous times, Checked the ground leads to ground (0.5 ohms to gnd), and yet when IT decided to work it only worked after some time of being turned on. And then it would shut down on its own for no apparent reason.

So finally today I had disassembled all the connectors to the Fan Speed Module trying one last time and I decided to plug in the spare module that I bought a while back.

All of a sudden now the fans work just as designed. :-) :-)
All that's left is to put things back together under the left knee roll.

BTW If you are working under the knee roll on either side do yourself a favor and build a small 1ft X 2ft X 13inch tall bench to put by the door sill to sit on. BOY what a difference that makes on the hinny.

Now that leaves me with the original problem of no Freon side working. Pump turns but gauges show same pressures and no freon will flow into system.
I'm suspecting a bad compressor. Will need to open it up and see if any debris is flowing through the pipes If it is I'll probably need a condenser and drier also. Anyone with good freon servicing experience feel free to chime in. I've done it before but always wanting to learn more.
Its still R -12 and I have some squirreled away Got the tools also.

Oh well- the fun of driving a 35 year old hand built luxury car!!!

NOTHING BEATS DRIVING A ROLLS ROYCE !

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 820
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff, what compressor is yours ?The early ones were Delco and the later Sanden. If it is Delco, could be muck in the valves or possibly a blocked expansion valve. You are lucky to have R12.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2022 - 00:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a Rover Stirling 2.7 with an intermittent air-con fault.
I lashed a test meter to the dash and worked my though various parts of the circuit monitoring voltages as I drove.
Dry joint on a PCB.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2022 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark
I have the older GM A6 iron monster

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2022 - 08:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK back to do a follow up after a few non Rolls issues
GOT IT WORKING PERFECT AT THIS TIME!
Started from scratch on the gas side. Broke open a line to look for trash and found none. replaced both valve cores with new and sucked the system down for an hour, locked it off and it held suction over night (bought the suction pump at Harbor Freight for $60 US new) (gages the same for the same price). Pressures look right on maybe slightly high but it was a hot day that I did it.
Re filled with 4 cans of R-12 from my stash and the thing gets COLD now. So cold I have to turn the temp control to a little warmer than full cold on a 90+ day WAY too cold for my wife to sit in.

So for right now I'm back in business with a working A/C system.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: