New Little Glitch Today Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » New Little Glitch Today « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, 21 August, 2022 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Went to shift into Drive and it went only to Reverse.
Caught me by surprise but at least I start off slowly. Later in the day I noticed I needed to go to I first then D to get D After that if I just went slower on the shifter it seemed to keep up.

Im thinking maybe the lube in the trans shifter box maybe dry and the jack screw on the motor the same.

Now into the books tonight to see how much work it is to lube the system

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, 21 August, 2022 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd start by stripping the linkage and lube that.the motor is pretty well sealed.
Mike

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4115
Posted on Sunday, 21 August, 2022 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also check the battery's ability to hold a charge - this might be an increasing problem over time if the car only does short trips and doesn't get many opportunities to "stretch its legs" on continuous trips of 2 hours or more duration.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, 22 August, 2022 - 03:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Battery is new and gets used a lot
Reading the manual on the selector mechanism on the tranny side before I tear into it.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 812
Posted on Monday, 22 August, 2022 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff, do the reversing lights function properly ? There are 4 micro switches in the selector unit on the gearbox and they can give trouble. They are standard burgess type microswitches and easily available for about £3 each ! Fidly to change but had to do mine last month, reversing lights were permanently on. Reversing light problems are an indicator that all is not well on these switches which are interlinked.
Mark

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, 25 August, 2022 - 04:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've replaced the micro switches referred to in Mark's post.
Don't know if you have column or floor gear selector but we have a column selector and experienced intermittent selection of gears. I cleaned and re-tensioned the contacts on the selector. Lots of sparks if you don't disconnect the battery.
Darryl

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, 25 August, 2022 - 06:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darryl
That might be a reasonable place to start I hadn't thought of that one THX

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 813
Posted on Thursday, 25 August, 2022 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darryl, just noticed you are located about 10 miles from me.
Mark

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, 30 August, 2022 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark
That discovery has just reduced property prices in your area
Darryl

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2022 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark I guess I missed answering your query Yes the back up lights work as planned. Hasn't had the problem since I slowed down and made sure I was in D before the brake goes off.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: