Where's the Set Screw for Trans Drai... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Where's the Set Screw for Trans Drain? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
New User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2022 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Went to drain the transmission and can't find any set screw for the tubing nut as called out in the service manual (B1/ Sec 2)
Also the nut won't budge even with 75 ft pounds of torque (YES going the correct way :-)
Any ideas?

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 797
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2022 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff, if your trans has the shallow sump with no drain plug ( UK pre 20000 series, but who knows on export cars ) it is easier to suck the ATF out of the filler tube using an oil pump.

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/7l-extractor-pump-manual-vacuum-oil-fluid-70-170psi-petrol-fuel~c10610~p22000857/?exta=gshp&stat=eyJpcCI6IjMyLjY5MDAiLCJkcCI6MCwibGlkIjo2NjQ0NzExNiwicyI6IjY1IiwidCI6MTY1ODA1MjU1NCwiYm1jIjoiMS41In0=&lid=66447116&exta=gshp&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3POXp_r_-AIVVe3tCh1-DQy4EAQYASABEgJ7g_D_BwEe

I have used this method on many trans with success and aldo engines and diffs where the plug is ceased or mangled.

Mark

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 792
Posted on Monday, 18 July, 2022 - 01:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You never want to suck trans fluid. The filter must be changed. The trans is the single most item on the car with alot of metal on metal friction causing debris which the filter and the magnet in the pan trap. That is one of the reasons for not having a drain plug. It forces you to do the maintenance the right way.

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, 18 July, 2022 - 04:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On a high mileage car I agree that the filter needs changing but in my case I have 30,000 miles on the clock BUT the fluid is 35 years old. Right now I'd be happy just to change some or all of the fluid out for fresh Dextron II/III I doubt that I have any debris in the pan. Fluid on the stick shows bright red and clear (but its OLD).

On the other hand, I will eventually need to drop the pan and need to figure out why it is so tight on the tube nut and do it without breaking the nut off tube. I read about the set screw that is supposed to be there but it ain't there. And the nut is basically frozen in place. If there is no set screw holding the nut from turning then I have to come up with a way to get it off eventually.

I can do a complete fluid change at the cooler lines or just remove what I can from the sump and do that a couple of times to cycle fresh fluid into the trans. That would suffice for now until I figure how to remove the drain nut.

I'll look into a sucker pump.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, 18 July, 2022 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, I believe filter is every 24 k miles, fluid every 12k miles We tend to change fluid on our cars at 6K miles when the engine oil filter is changed ( engine oil every 3K) but my Mulsanne S , like its predecessors is a 10k+ miles per year car. We have changed trans fluid etc with a pump for years on our cars. ( Rolls, Bentley , Jag, Merc,MG gearbox )
Mark

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, 19 July, 2022 - 02:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the Service Manual for USA cars it says trans fluid renew at 15,000 mi intervals and the screen at 30,000 mi intervals

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 800
Posted on Tuesday, 19 July, 2022 - 02:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff, the diferences between home and export cars and maintenance are staggering. I am a firm believer in regular fluid changes as this reduces strain on the filters. Richard Treacy wrote some excellent articles on transmissions and steering racks on this site.
Mark

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 19 July, 2022 - 09:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll look him up and see what he wrote about

I have a suction pump now (Harbor Freight $7) that worked great and was able to get about 5 pints out through the filler pipe by jacking the left side up a little. Replaced the exact amount drained with fresh fluid. Will do it again in about 3 weeks to refresh some more fluid.

Figured out that the set screw talked about is the screw holding the tube bracket to the engine.

Still will need to get the tube nut loose at some time in the future to drop the pan and change the screen That sucker is frozen solid and I have no rust or corrosion on the car so its not that holding it

In years past I've done garage overhauls on TH350s and few others including 2 MB trans. They all lasted as long as I owned the vehicles.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2023 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finally got a chance to finish the project with the help of a friends car lift
With it up in the air I had enough angle on the wrench to loosen the filler tube nut and then drop the pan on the tranny. Really didn't need to do it. Perfectly clean inside. Refitted new filter and gasket and torqued the bolts to spec. No leaks after many miles.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2023 - 02:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is there a magnet in there?. Worthwhile addition if there wasn't. Hmm..maybe too late.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4233
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2023 - 09:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I purchased an after-market T400 drain plug kit and installed it on the transmission sump after removing the sump from DRH14434.

Simple job and greatly facilitated on-going maintenance when changing transmission fluid.

For DIY custodians, the B&M T400 overhaul guide is worth keeping on file and if you email me at drh14434@yahoo.com.au, I will email you a PDF copy for your files.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, 21 October, 2023 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David but I have good tranny overhaul guide already Its in my RR manual that I have on the computer. I've also done a couple the GM350s in years past so I'm basically familiar with the GM trannys.
I found the MB trannys more difficult.

The way I look at it if nothing big happens I won't ever need to open it up before I'm too old to do the job. It was perfect inside.

Robert- I had a magnet inside when I dropped the pan. Nothing to speak of on it when cleaned. But a good thought THANKS

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: