Fuel filler refit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Fuel filler refit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Clark
Yet to post message
Username: thephantom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 09 July, 2022 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all, first time poster and new owner. i have taken the challenge on to resurrect an 82 Spirit that has been somewhat neglected. The car had gas fitted 9 years ago and one of my first objectives is to get the thing running on petrol. One of the reasons it has not been running on petrol was a leaky fuel tank. It was corroded, which I have soldered up and tested and all good now. It was some effort to remove the tank but persistence prevailed. Now I have the tank back in place but for the life of me I cannot get the large diameter filler hose to go on the tail. The tank is such a tight fit and the filler hose engages by such a large amount I just cannot get the thing on. I wonder if anybody has any hot tips as to what I should try next?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3300
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you try placing the end of the hose that is supposed to slide on that end in very hot water for a few minutes prior to trying to slide it on in order to soften it a bit and allow it to stretch just a tiny bit more?

If not, that's the first thing I'd try.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If all else fails, try using Molykote 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealer, in my experience over many years this has worked wonders in replacing hoses, seals etc as well as maintaining the elastomers in a soft, smooth and UV resistant condition.

Expensive? Yes but you only need to use it sparingly when massaging it onto the surfaces to be joined.

https://www.dupont.com/products/molykote-111-compound.html

Peter Clark
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's not that the hose is too tight, its just once the tank is in place, trying to pull the hose over the inlet I am find difficult in the extreme. It would be very simple if the filler nozzle could be fitted through the fuel door and the hose lined up with tank inlet while inserting it.
I will try manoeuvring the tank around to see if I can get the hose on, it is very tight in that space not aided by the fact that the car has a rear aircon with pipe fed through that end of the space.
Thanks for the help.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to ask, why didn't you fit the hose on first and then install the tank with the fuel door assembly removed _ if that's possible.
I'm not familiar with the car at all, but it sounds like that is what RR would have done.

Peter Clark
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 13:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The tank won't get past obstructions with the hose on. It's a tight space. I have tried shortening the hose a little. We will see how that goes.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 13:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So the air con wasn't there when it was installed then.
How is the filler box held in place, or is there one ?
Please take a photo, it may give me some ideas.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 14:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is this your car, can you access it from inside the boot once the interior lining is removed, or from inside the car once the seat is removed ?
Is their a wood divider between the boot and interior that would not have been their when the car was being built.
I would imagine the fender-well is welded in place. Is there an access panel there ?

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 397
Posted on Sunday, 10 July, 2022 - 14:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, that's a Spur, but I think it's about in the same position.

Peter Clark
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 11 July, 2022 - 14:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I managed to get the hose on yesterday, whoopee! Happy days until i noticed a fuel spill from the tank as I was about to bolt it place. So that means the tank had another leak, surprise surprise. I had gone over the whole thing with soapy water and the tank pressurised. Remove yet again, solder up the leak, leak test, paint, re-fit. Now I still have to get the filler hose back on but I will have a look if access is easier from the rear seat side, perhaps that is the way they did it in the factory??

Peter Clark
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 12 July, 2022 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finally all fixed with no leaks. What a nightmare. I will look at making a new tank into the future as I can weld stainless steel and can get a lot more volume in the given space.
If anybody wants tips on how to complete this process, I have to say I am all over it now.

Daryl White
New User
Username: 1of45

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, 16 November, 2022 - 19:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I feel your pain Peter, I have just removed the tank from my 83 Spur, what a nightmare. Using large timber wedges to free it from the glue on the floor would only help so much. I ended up using a timber panel saw to cut through the glue between the tank and floor. I also had to trim the sound deadening slightly on the wheel arches. The tank is impossible to remove without getting the long rubber filler pipe off. Rear seat was removed but there’s no access from the cabin. The tank is getting professionally stripped and tested then the inside coated to protect it from rust and unleaded fuel. Don’t forget to change the rubber O ring on the filter
How did you end up getting the filler pipe back on Peter.
tank

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: