Need to find the switch Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Need to find the switch « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
New User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, 04 July, 2022 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can't locate the switch for the under engine hood light. Have good bulb but no 12 volt to the bulb
I have looked in the 4400 manual and it doesn't really show where the switch is. The pictures are very blurry
Anyone have a location picture or directions
Thanks?

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 793
Posted on Monday, 04 July, 2022 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff on a uk car it is operated by the bonnet hinge mechanism on the left side of the car looking forward and located next to the radiator. It is a bit hidden by the hinge and very awkward to remove. You might be able to work switch cleanr in it but it is as far as I know NLA. The one on my car is U/S. It would be possible to replace with a wateproof microswitch in a bracket( I did this on my Shadow) but access is tight.

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2022 - 00:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK I'll look down there. Why OH why do all MY issues have to be the hard to get at ones? :-) :-)
Thinking if not cleanable I might be able to find a mercury tipping switch to replace it like in old house thermostats.
Actually I thought the spark plugs and wires were fairly easy when others didn't.
Thanks for the help Much appreciated!

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2022 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found the switch Its "difficult" but not impossible to get to.
Found that it has only one wire coming off of it. Looks as if the other side wire has broken off inside the switch. The hole for that wire can be felt with a finger.
Some one has been in there and disconnected the other connections.
The switch comes off later this evening after sunset as its 105 degrees right now (hotter in the sun).
Going to try and keep the screws in the mounting plate (using a little RTV) If the nuts come loose easily then this project won't be too bad.
But knowing how things always go for me??? :-) :-) I'm not holding my breath.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, 15 July, 2022 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff, good that you can get the switch off and access both the screws and the nuts. On the 20000 series cars, the nuts appear only to be accessible with the radiator out ! which is the reason I have not repaired mine properly. Works occasionally having been cleaned with switch cleaner.
mark

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2022 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can get the nuts off no problem except getting screws out I run the risk of them dropping down to the nether regions so I have secured them to the plate with some RTV on the head side. Now I can remove the nuts (7/32 socket) and slide the switch off the screws and not run the risk of losing them when I side the new switch on. The nut torque is so low (small thread) that I can tighten the nuts with just the RTV holding them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: