Just wondering about substitute miner... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Just wondering about substitute mineral hyd sys oil « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
New User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 25 June, 2022 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I read somewhere that someone had found a good substitute for our (green) mineral hydraulic oil

Anyone hear or read anything about that also?
Trying to remember where I read it
Just curious about the idea.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3294
Posted on Sunday, 26 June, 2022 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One place is the table entitled, Miscellaneous Hydraulic/Braking System Mineral Oil Based Fluids and Their Properties, in the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation

Brian

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, 27 June, 2022 - 13:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In searching the list I come to find that the oil mentioned is no longer manufactured but the replacement is-

TRW Hydraulic System Mineral Oil LHM Plus
@ $23-$30 per quart

Hyd leaks will be expensive if not fixed!

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 791
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2022 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ouch ! in the Uk it is about £30 ( about $36 ) for 5 litres

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3295
Posted on Tuesday, 28 June, 2022 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

See also the very long topic on RollsRoyceForums.com: https://www.rollsroyceforums.com/threads/mineral-system-oil-where-to-source.3825/

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2022 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Read the entire topic
Thanks

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2022 - 00:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Cliff,
Don't forget that a lot of post DS / pre C5 Citroens used LHM fluid.
Don't know if there are many Citroens in your part of the world.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3302
Posted on Monday, 01 August, 2022 - 02:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This topic has made me go back and revisit the one I linked to, as well as making additions to the hydraulic mineral oils properties table in the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation.

Anyone marketing HSMO+ or LHM+ has a product that is the same thing. There are several sources I consider reliable who have stated that the source factory for these various products is the same one.

Even two Pentosin CHF formulations should be perfectly adequate for the task.

It's also pretty clear that if the product states it conforms to either one or both of the following specifications, ISO 7308 and Citroën/Peugeot PSA B71 2710, it's perfectly OK for use in the cars that require HSMO+.

Several of the various spec sheets explicitly state something along the lines of, "Certain Citroën/Peugeot (PSA B71 2710), Rolls-Royce
& Bentley models."

Citroën, RR, and Bently all eventually went to hydraulic systems using hydraulic system mineral oil with separate braking systems using conventional brake fluid. Hence the "certain" as some use it for braking and hydraulics while later cars do not. We all know that hydraulic mineral oil and DOT3/4/5.1 brake fluids do NOT mix!

Brian

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2022 - 09:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I remember now that when I read one of the manuals for my car it actually said in a pinch one could use plain ol' engine oil and they said nothing about having to drain the system and refill with green oil. I'll try to find which book I read it in.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, 12 January, 2023 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To add-
In the Owner's Manual on page 49 it states that in an emergency one can use plain old engine oil to top off the hydraulic system if caught out on the road with no LHM available.
It goes on to say to contact the dealer afterwards to which I presume they would say to replace all the hydraulic fluid with LHM.

I can find nothing in the Work Shop Manual that talks about flushing engine oil out of the system after use so it might be just a cautionary preventative measure.

With that in mind I can see no reason why any one of the "alternate" mineral oils mentioned in the above "Substitute Parts" listing couldn't be used in the LHM vehicles.

Anyone with a differing opinion? I'm all ears.

Cliff Biggs
Experienced User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, 14 October, 2023 - 15:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to close this out I found some LHM on Partsgeek all of a sudden It just showed up
Got a full case in the shop now :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: