Are the NGK Iridium plugs still good ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Are the NGK Iridium plugs still good to go with? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
New User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2022 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anything new for plugs or are the NGK Iridium spark plugs still the ones to go to instead of the Champions?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2022 - 13:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They're fine.

I like NGK plugs, but any brand's iridium or ruthenium plug is way more than adequate. (It is presumed with correct heat rating, etc.)

As far as I'm concerned even platinum plugs would be OK.

Brian

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2022 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Ngk fine wire platinum and Iridium plugs on my Shadow 1, Bentley 8 ( injected) and S1 with excellent results and no fouling. I have Bosch platinums in my MG and Mulsanne (injected) very successful, but these did not work well in the S1 with the overhead inlet/ side exhaust valve arrangement. The ngk plugs are far better in this car. The bosch plugs fouled as quickly as ordinary plugs in the S1.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2022 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like NGK because they use wire inside to get the resistance required in a resistance spark plug.
They are very accurate and when measured with a multi-metre they are pretty much always at 5k Ohms.
Other plugs are all over the place.

Inaccurate resistances cause a hotter spark on some plugs and colder on others.

And if one is still using points, you don't want super high resistances from some of these modern plugs.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2022 - 20:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1990 Mulsanne S
I suffered poor starting and poor idling and ignition kick back on occasion.
After moving the car in and out of the garage several times (refurbishing seats) the plugs would foul.
I replaced the (recently fitted) NGK iridium plugs with NGK platinum. I believe platinum plugs are reccomended by Bentley for our car. This has cured the above issues so far - touch wood & fingers crossed. 1000 miles plus since the swap.

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, 08 April, 2022 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found a good price on NGKs so I'll throw them in. I don't have any issues but the plugs are (I'm sure) original to the car when new with only 30,000 miles

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 14 July, 2022 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just after I posted above I started to get a miss that felt like 2 cylinders When I went to change the spark plugs I found 2 leads ripped open at the wire holders on the side of the heads. Obviously someone just pushed hard to get them in the holders and ripped the outer shell.

I picked up the Platinum NGKs and a wiring harness for them. Actually found an NGK 7mm harness (only 7mm leads will work in the holders) that fits a big block Chevy engine that works great for this engine also. A couple of wires are longer than needed but the harness fits just fine ($36)

After replacing the plugs (not really hard to do)(use a 1 foot piece of rubber hose to push the back of the plug into to help start the plug in its hole) I started 1 wire at a time on the harness. I found that applying a little dielectric grease (DC4 compound) to each lead where they were pushed into the holders allowed them to slip in very easily and not rip the silicone outer shell as the previous harness had happen.

Big Big difference in running smoothly. Smooth as glass now. There was evidence of spark leakage at both of the rips in the 2 leads that I found.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: