Question About Spark Plug Connections Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Question About Spark Plug Connections « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
New User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, 04 April, 2022 - 14:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I move through everything on this 86 Spirit one of my next items is spark plugs. In just doing a little checking today I find that the plug wires seem to be frozen to the plug tops. Not the boots but the wire electrode connection to the spark plug top.
Any tricks to use before I break a lead off of the top of a plug? Any RR inside info on these? I tried "search" and didn't find anything like this
Thanks for any help or ideas

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2022 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cliff,

I've never seen something like this myself. And to prevent such from happening I'd certainly be applying electrically conductive grease to the contacts inside each boot when the time comes to put everything back together with the new plugs.

Two options, and there are others:
Sanchem NoOxID A-Special
Gardner-Bender Ox-Gard

For some years now any time I have to deal with any electrical connection I mechanically clean them where that's practical, chemically clean them where it's not (e.g., Caig Deoxit spray), and before putting them back together applying Sanchem NoOxID grease. I have yet to need to revisit a connection so treated.

Brian

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2022 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks I might be able to get them loose with 90 degree needle nose pliers Will try this weekend.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, 05 April, 2022 - 20:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a rod with a 90 degree bend at the end essentially creating a 1/4" hook to facilitate pulling the boot off the plug. Work it around the boot edge and it will come off.
Also swab the internal boot with light oil to slide the plug wire back on. It's important to hear the click knowing the conductor is on the tip of the plug. I recently changed the plug wires on a 76 here with Magnecor.

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2022 - 02:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately its not the boot that is the problem. The electrical connector on the plug is frozen in place

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 769
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2022 - 05:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

wow..never seen that. Something tells me they have not been touched in a long time. Best bet may be a 90 deg needle nose pliers to twist and pull and break the corrosion, if in fact it's the corrosion that is causing the issue. Weird.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2022 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My gut is telling me this is corrosion of some sort, too. If aluminum is involved, along with a humid/wet environment (salt air would be an added bonus to speed this up) you can get corrosion over time.

I agree this is weird.

This is one of the reasons I've become such a cheerleader for electrically conductive grease. It's used (sparingly, in general) in very challenging environments to prevent corrosion over long periods of time.

Brian

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2022 - 13:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This was always a Los Angeles car but very few miles in its 35 years that's why I'm going through everything as I don't think it has been touched in 10 years or so. All fluids are being replaced among other items. Plugs are being replaced When I get them loose :-) The car though is in remarkable shape overall.

Cliff Biggs
New User

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, 03 June, 2022 - 13:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Got them loose without breaking any :-)
Old plugs replaced with NGK GR4ixs and a new ignition harness (NGK big block Corvette)
What a difference in smoothness :-)
Lots better mileage also

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: