1981 Silver Spirit smog pump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 1981 Silver Spirit smog pump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Finnerty
New User
Username: paul

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2022 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, I am thinking of getting rid of the smog pump & EGR valves off my silver spirit & plugging the inlets, can anyone advise me of any detrimental effects that may happen, thanks, Paul

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, 26 January, 2022 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No benefit if you're looking for better performance since it injects air after combustion and helps the catalytic converters do their job. Higher emission readings may fail you come inspection time.

Paul Finnerty
New User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, 27 January, 2022 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car doesn't have catalytic converters, I was thinking less load on the engine and another item less to worry about.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, 27 January, 2022 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Simply take the belt off. BTW it really does not add much load on the motor.

Paul Finnerty
New User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 27 January, 2022 - 13:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Robert, I was just running it past you as I had a 1977 450 SLC Mercedes that had the smog pump removed and the EGR valve plugged, it performed quite well with no detrimental effects. Being a Rolls Royce with everything working I would be reluctant to change anything without there being a proper benefit in the end. Cheers, Paul.

Kelly Opfar
Frequent User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 266
Posted on Friday, 28 January, 2022 - 13:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've got a kit in stock that blocks off the antler ports in the heads. It also has a solid olive that blocks off the EGR valve:

egr block off

https://www.britishtoolworks.com/product-page/sy-sz-egr-block-off-kit

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Friday, 28 January, 2022 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here in the UK it is illegal to remove or tamper with the emission systems on cars.
I had thought that in Australia and USA if originally fitted cars it was a more hefty penalties
than the UK.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, 28 January, 2022 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is technically illegal here in the US. Many older cars get a pass, but certain states here are ruthless.
I blocked my antlers on the '76 I have so everything looks stock.
My '81 SWII does not have a smog pump. All original

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: