Balancing of new crankshaft Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Balancing of new crankshaft « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anders Nilsson
New User
Username: nilssan

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 23 December, 2021 - 21:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am in the process of restoring the engine of my 1981 Rolls-Royce Corniche (SCAYD42A0BCX03353). I have purchased a NOS crankshaft, and now comes the question from the machine shop about the process of balancing it.
Consulting the SZ Workshop manual TSD4400, section E5, it says “The crankcase has integral balance weights and is dynamically balanced before it is fitted to the engine. When the engine is partially built the crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons are dynamically balanced in the crankcase.”. Is it then correctly understood that there is no need to balance the crankshaft itself before the assembly into the engine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cliff Biggs
New User
Username: cliffy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 24 December, 2021 - 02:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From previous engine experience I would think that if the rotating mass (crank, rods pistons etc) were balanced in complete assembly form (dynamic balance) in the crank case that changing any one of them would throw the rotating balance out from what it was. To just rebalance the crank would not account for the other pieces in the rotating mass that were balanced as an assembly originally.
A conundrum to what to do now.
One could balance the crank and then balance the pistons to the same mass and then do each end of each connecting rod and then assemble the engine

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: