SZ Air-conditioning units Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » SZ Air-conditioning units « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Hutton
Experienced User
Username: gph

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, 11 November, 2021 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had a brief scan and couldn't see any thread on A/C units. My '87 SZ has an a/c unit which my mechanic says is not what should be installed there, someone in a previous life of this car has replaced the original with a smaller unit, this means my car never really gets cool, especially in Qld summer. Moreover he reckons there aren't any suitable compressors available right now.
My mobile A/C guy who looks afar my Landcruiser begs to differ, he reckons there are plenty of interchangeable units which would work. that said he cant even look at it for a few weeks.
My question to you all is "What options have any of you considered for this model and have any non genuine units done the job"?

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 734
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 04:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you check on the Bentley heritage parts page you can put in your vin and find what was fitted originally.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, 12 November, 2021 - 08:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

GM A6 compressors were used from Shadows up to the late 1987 Spirit's and Spurs. They then changed to a smaller Sanden SD 709 compressor which looks entirely different. The A6 is always black, and the Sanden will be natural aluminum. There are lots available on Ebay, you can get a genuine Sanden one or a clone which is likely made in the same factory as the genuine. If your tech is not familiar with later SZ's he may think it is supposed to have an A6 in it hence his comment that it is not the original one.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Graham Hutton
Experienced User
Username: gph

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2021 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that useful information, I will follow up as suggested

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2021 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a useful side-comment, David Gore has e-mailable copies of the detailed 1975 seminar notes on the Shadow A/C system. If that is likely to be useful as a diagnostic guide for later cars he will send a copy on receipt of a request and an email address, he said.

They will be added to the technical library at the first opportunity. The relevant postings can be found in the Shadow section of this forum.

Alan D.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Friday, 19 November, 2021 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Alan for including this reminder.

I am waiting for the Technical Library Administrator to post the seminar notes however I am only too happy to forward the seminar notes on request in the meantime.

There are two versions available depending on how you intend viewing them:

Version A is one with pages oriented between portrait and landscape modes as needed for easy viewing on a computer screen.

Version B is one with pages oriented for printing and subsequent filing in a folder/binder.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: