Airbag light- last problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Airbag light- last problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User
Username: portamno

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2021 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello from Portugal!

My Mulsanne S 92 has an airbag light on. I have written about it several times. Using the tips given by esteemed members of this forum, my mechanic and I were able to erase all faults without using a sensor. Except one: 3249....

I Know that number "3" refers to airbag system, "2", refers to a fault that is stored in memory, and "49" refers to so many different possibilities that we are indeed very confused.

The only reason why I got that airbag light was because my mechanic had to pull out the steering wheel assembly, and that made the light come on. And I know it has to be resetted.

We had another error, which was 32100, having to do with the airbag sensor where the connecting wire was corroded. Upon replacement that error went away.

I ask if anybody give me some tips on how to "expel", take out, "kill" that 3249 code.

I am afraid to go to Bentley Portugal as time and time again, I was charged small fortunes for small stuff, and finally I was told that "our mechanics are not so competent on older cars.

I APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK.

Warm regards

Pedro

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2021 - 19:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro
I think that code is used on Porsche 944 and some vw cars.
I can't find exactly what it means though.
Hope that helps
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Wednesday, 14 July, 2021 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is where I suspect your problem may be.

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, 15 July, 2021 - 22:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Michael: Dear Omar:

Thank you for you comments and pictures. Unfortunately that last error code has not gone away. We did dismount the coil assembly, everything looked fine. So, with a heavy heart, will visit Bentley Portugal, and see if with the right equipment we can erase it.

Will let you know,

Warm Regards

Pedro

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 716
Posted on Friday, 16 July, 2021 - 18:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck Pedro, sorry couldn't help more.
Be interested to find out the cause.
Cheers
Mike

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, 18 July, 2021 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mike,

Will let you all know exactly what was wrong....Hopefully Bentley Portugal will catch it. HOPEFFULY!

Warm Regards

Pedro

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 717
Posted on Sunday, 18 July, 2021 - 17:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again Pedro
I have found out that the airbag ECU is a BMW unit.
Hope that helps.
Mike

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, 20 July, 2021 - 23:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael:

Thank you for your contact. Do you happen to know, or can you find out (as long as it's easy and not time consuming!) the code number for that airbag unit from BMW?

I am scheduled to go to Bentley-portugal tomorrow.

Warm regards

Pedro

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, 21 July, 2021 - 10:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Pedro no , a friend told me he took out his airbag ECU and it said BMW on it.
Good luck tomorrow.
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Wednesday, 21 July, 2021 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To many unknowns with the cause of the fault codes.
IMO best to do checks first before having a huge bill for replacing items that are ok!
Was the unit allowed to power down before starting the dismantling.
When dismantled has the ignition been turned on.
Has the clock spring been tested for continuity.
Etc Etc !!!!!

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, 21 July, 2021 - 21:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All:

Went to Bentley-Portugal this morning. I had called before, spoke to the maintenance manager, which assured me they had the scanning tools for my Mulsanne S 92, specifically to cancel that airbag light.

I Know all is ok within the airbag system, as on the error code (3249) the "2" means a PAST fault in memory. So, it just needs to be erased.

Got there, they fitted a scanner to the main diagnostic socket in the car. No good! It would not go into the airbag system.

After a while, they came to me stating that they did not have the "right scanner", perhaps they could try to do it via the airbag socket....But that's exactly what my mechanic had already done, and erased all the error codes, except that 3249....

But the chief mechanic was going on vacation, he had to built the conector wire with a switch only when he came back etc. etc....

I asked him if we could try to reprogram the ECU for the airbag....They did not have it either, they would have to call Crewe and find out....

Bentley Portugal continues to show ENORMOUS INCOMPETENCE!

Then the chief mechanic called me on the side and stated: Pedro, this can cost you a fortune, if we start to analyze all the faults within fault 49....Perhaps you could consider to eliminate the red light by fitting a diode...

This is perfectly legal in Portugal. The car is a classic, almost 30 years old, by law it does not require an airbag.

So, what I need now is the electric schematics for the airbag system. Need to know what kind of diode, the Ohms value.

Can any of my esteemed colegues on this forum help me with the electric schematics for the airbag and any other suggestions?

This has been a most frustrating morning!

Warm regards

Pedro

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Wednesday, 21 July, 2021 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the the system has had the original fault 100% repaired then it may well be worth sending the airbag control module for a reset.
Spain may be your closest.
These may help you :
https://www.myairbags

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I took my module out of my 96 Azure... this what I saw... If the photos are of any use to you Pedro.

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Patrick; Dear Omar;

Thank you so much for your comments and the sent pictures.

Unfortunately Omar, your module does not fit an earlier car like mine.

I have 2 options: Either take the car to Spain, where I am told Bentley-Spain is much more competent....In fact I have found out that many Portuguese Bentley/Rolls owners do just that.

Or try to fit a diode that will cancel the light and be done with it.

In view of the pandemic, with an enormous rise in contagions due to the delta variant, I am concerned to go to Spain, even though I have taken my 2 shots. But my father, also inoculated is 94 years old, and lives at my home.

So, the Diode will be! But for that I need the airbag Electric Schematics. If someone has it that would be really appreciated.

Yesterday, the chief mechanic at Bentley did tell me that he would send it to me by e-mail. But he hasn´t yet....

Perhaps he was expecting that I would give him some money, but I could not, there were a few people around.

What a frustrating matter this is!

Warm regards

Pedro

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Thursday, 22 July, 2021 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I sent my Display Information Panel (DIP) to the UK and they put a circuit in it to fool the display that there is no airbag fault. I dont have the red light anymore. They took a few weeks to send me the unit back.

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, 07 August, 2021 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar! Those are great news! Could you please advise the name of the company you sent the DIP to? Or the net address....

I have exhausted all my options.

At Bentley, the chief mechanic called me on the side and told me: Pedro, I know you, dont try to fix the problem here, they will charge you a fortune!

I wait you reply,

Warm regards

Pedro

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 724
Posted on Saturday, 07 August, 2021 - 21:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro.
The only person I know who might be able to help is John bowling.

https://g.co/kgs/rBEcVU

Contact him ok
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Sunday, 08 August, 2021 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Pedro
I sent you a private message because the gentleman who did my work for me does not want to be publicised.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, 09 August, 2021 - 17:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro I used Bowling Engineering a few years ago.

BOWLING ENGINEERING LTD
• Great BritainUNIT 5, FISHBROOK IND EST,
• STONECLOUGH ROAD,
• KEARSLEY
BOLTON,
• LANCASHIRE
• BL4 8EL

Phone: +44 (0) 1204 862500
fax Fax: +44 (0) 1606 48448
John Bowling

johnrr@btconnect.com

Pedro Gomes
Experienced User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, 09 August, 2021 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Omar; Dear Michael; Dear Darryl:

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your your comments,

I will follow them thru,

Warm Regards

Pedro

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: