AC Recharge (1989 Bentley Turbo R)... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » AC Recharge (1989 Bentley Turbo R) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2020 - 14:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I started to recharge the AC on my 89 Turbo R today. The system took the Freon nicely, BUT after adding the first pound, it had leaked out within a few minutes which is a massive leak. I was shocked as I put vacuum on the system for 4 hours and left it overnight with no lost of pressure. I see NO leaks at the engine hoses nor at the condenser (as everything is super dry). My Bentley guy says he has never replaced the evaporator in his 28 years at the dealership. I do not know where the leak is as I would think that massive leak would create a easily seen moist surface!

Any ideas?

Richard

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2020 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
we normally pressurise with air and hold the compressed air in the system for at least 6 hours.
If all is well, we then vacuum and introduce gas.
Two things you could check are your schrader valves and perhaps the compressor seal.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, 10 June, 2020 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you not put UV dye in?
I use nitrogen to test for leaks, when you say freon you mean r134a?

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2020 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Common leak is in the pipe from condenser and hoses in cavity when open bonnet at front just left of Radiator and can be damaged by rubbing of the bonnet hinge on the pipes and hoses my current car have put a rubber cover on this section of pipe from past experience .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: