Constant Heat (1989 Turbo R) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Constant Heat (1989 Turbo R) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I drove my newly purchased 89 Turbo R on my first "long" trip. Car ran great, BUT I have constant heat even though I have the climate control on cold. When I dial full heat, it gets hotter, and the fans go into slow mode. The fans go back on high for cool air, but the air is hot.

Any help appreciated!

Richard

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 14:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Is the AC compressor running at all?

I suspect either an AC compressor issue and/or a mixing flaps issue (and both of these are SWAGs based on limited information - and subject to change).

Brian

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 18:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Start with a check of the compressor engaging: in case it does not engage check the electrical system before thinking the clutch is gone, there is a temperature cut-off switch somewhere in the system.

In case the compressor engages, let someone check the refrigerant. Hopefully that will be all you need and you have no electronic issues.

Flaps are difficult to access.

Note that due to the engine heat and the heater bypass absence of an airco will probably result in heat rather than natural air.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 21:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, set system to Econ, temperature settings upper and lower to full cold. Air should be ambient ( ie compressor does not run in econ mode).
Is water tap working ? switch heating to off, heater pipes under bonnet, one should be hot and one cold.
Mark

Edward Mckinley
New User
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2020 - 22:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't forget that if the system is low on freon the compressor will not engage. It's an easy thing to check and rectify and also a common failure especially in cars that are not used much

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Frequent User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, 18 May, 2020 - 22:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

True, the compressor has a pressure switch. So indeed: check pressure (Workshop) and in case OK electrical system.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: