Components for Aircon microprocessor ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Components for Aircon microprocessor board « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward Mckinley
New User
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2020 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wondering if anyone would happen to know the replacement microrelays found on the HVAC control board. In trying to rectify intermittent heating, I believe I have narrowed my search down to the board being the culprit.

I would like to replace the failed components myself as it appears to be a fairly simple single layer circuit board. Mr. Treacy mentioned years ago of a fujitsu replacement for the microrelays but the part numbers show up as "obsolete" in my search. Thanks,

pic of original board

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2020 - 13:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car is a 1989 Corniche II, The microrelay's on my board have most of the print gone off them, all I can make out is SH-112D and 12vDC.
Thanks

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2020 - 14:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Edward,
I have a spare that I keep for emergencies.
I also replaced the micro relays on mine many years ago under guidance from Mr Treacy.
It has been many years since i did this and i have to reconfirm with you which component you want me to get the details of. Can we confirm that they are the 5 larger blue boxes on the board shown above?

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2020 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, the 5 blue boxes are the microrelays which were mentioned as a common point of failure in the old post. I was hoping I might find an obvious failed component but the board is visually in good condition. Any help is greatly appreciated Omar, thank you

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 03:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok Edward.
My blue boxes have transparent overs on them and you can see the coil and contacts through the transparent case.
I have assumed that mine may be made by Farnell because there is an F logo them.
The numbers are 211B on one line and D012-M on the second line. On the third line we have the F logo followed by HB8 on 4 of them and HB2 on one

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 04:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar, I will use this to try and locate the parts. I rarely use the heat but on a couple of these cool spring nights its nice to have!

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 05:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

'F' is probably for Fujitsu: https://www.fujitsu.com/us/pdut/detail/1184935/relays/FBR211

Summary: obsolete; no pin-compatible replacements.

The 'B' part controls the pin-out and sensitivity, so you definitely need a 211B.
'D012' states the voltage, so that's also a must.
There can be a 'S' or an 'N' in front of the 'B' for flux-free and plastic-sealed: either would be fine.
The 'M' specs gold-overlay-silver contacts, but 'P' for gold-overlay-silver-paladium would also be fine.

Put that all together and you're looking for one of these:

FBR211BD012M
FBR211BD012P
FBR211SBD012M
FBR211NBD012M
FBR211SBD012P
FBR211NBD012P

4Star claims to have some of the last one:
https://www.4starelectronics.com/part_detail/FBR211NBD012P20.html

You'd probably need to go in with some other interested parties and order a bunch, but it's worth asking to see if they'd sell 5 or 10 of them.

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

great information, thanks for that!
Are these the main components likely to fail on the board? theres also a vertically mounted transistor with a heat sink I was looking at

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

transistor

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 05:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's probably a 5V voltage regulator rather than a transistor. I don't think it's very likely to fail, though.

The two electrolytic capacitors might though. (The orange and blue "cans" on either side of it.)

All the little yellow capacitors are films, and are extremely unlikely to fail.

There are a few blue cans lying down on the board -- those could be more electrolytics, or they could be tantalums. Can you get the writing off of any of them?

The diodes on the SYII cars tend to fail, but they're the little black ones rather than the orange glass ones used on this board. I think the orange glass ones are pretty durable.

Any heat marks on the two large black resistors next to the relays?

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 05:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're right, its a voltage regulator. The print on the blue caps looks like 63V on one and 47u T on the other.there doesn't appear to be any heat marks on the resistors.

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 06:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These should helporange cap

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

blue cap

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 424
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The blue one is 1000uF, 25V. So you just need to find an aluminium electrolytic that has the right lead spacing and is 1000uF, 25V.

The orange one is 47uF. Everything on this board is 12V or 5V, so just use the same 25V spec as on the blue one.

What about the little blue ones lying down on the board?

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 09:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry for the delay, i just returned to my computer

Cap 1

Cap 2

Cap 3

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 14:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have no idea how easy (or, more likely, difficult) it is to get this thing in and out for testing, but . . .

My experience is that when it comes to electronics such as this you must be very cautious not to "do too much" at any one time, which can make it very difficult to determine when you've fixed the issue you've been having if you accidentally introduce another (or others).

If you have any way of doing one item at a time, and testing between each, then do so. If not, then at the very least try to deal with the minimum number of replacements on the PCB at any one pass.

Even if you wanted to replace each and every component, it would be ideal if you could do every single one as its own step. I know that's generally not realistic, but the general principle applies. Make the fewest replacements you can between each testing pass.

Brian

P.S. My personal experience with those "canned" electrolytic capacitors is that they will generally show a bit of bulge, most often in the form of a dome where the X crosses over the top, if they've gone bad.

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Overheating the board and/or components is something to be aware of while soldering. I plan to change the microrelays first and then check the system. Now that I've had the board out and reinstalled its not to difficult to access it.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bulging electrolytics are usually due to overheating. But they can also dry out which will cause their equivalent series resistance to fall -- which may produce oscillation in some circuits (most commonly anything with feedback, such as a voltage regulator or op-amp).

It's hard to guess what the 3 lying down ones are doing without a schematic, so I'd be inclined to factor in Brian's recommendation and replace just the two big ones smoothing the voltage regulator.

I suspect the relays are dying because they don't have flyback diodes (which will cause undue arcing in their contacts as the magnetic field in the coil collapses). For whatever reason the automotive industry was slow on this one (my '02 Vanquish suffers from the same in the hydraulic pump circuit).

I'd replace all 5 relays.

But I'm a DIY in both automotive and electronics, so YMMV.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's a headphone amplifier I built. Note that each relay has a flyback diode. ;)

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2020 - 22:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work!
I'll be ordering the components today and begin replacing them soon. The problem I'm trying to rectify is that when I switch on the heater, it blows warm for approximately 30 seconds and then blows cold, going back to blowing warm intermittently. The AC works fine and defrost blows warm consistently (although not Hot). I've changed the heater tap and all sensors on the thermostat housing. When I check the voltage at the heater tap, I'm only getting around 4 volts after the engine warms up, not 12V.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Thursday, 07 May, 2020 - 01:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,

I can believe the overheating theory. The situation I've dealt with was with Vizio TVs, and in an early plasma series that was known for failure in these capacitors.

Given how many of these sets failed (and were sadly junked because no one really fixes this stuf except dedicated DIY-ers) and the different suppliers over time for said capacitors, it had to be a design flaw of some sort. But I also have to say the initial failure was not "fast." I think the TV was at least 5 years old, possibly closer to 10.

One of these days I need to try my hand at rebuilding the Lucas Opus distributor PCB from SRH33576, as I'm sure the failure in that is from one of the things on the board (which one, I'm not sure, but the instructions for rebuilding give you all the "likely culprits" in the list of things to replace).

As an aside, I've used Mouser Electronics to source quite a few "electronic doodads" over time. That's the US website, but it appears they have other online presence worldwide.

Brian

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, 07 May, 2020 - 01:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yeah, Mouser does a thriving business worldwide. They're great for stuff in production, but don't keep any stock of obsolete parts. For those you have to go to the distributors that keep old stuff (primarily for the military). Trouble is they're usually woeful at dealing with small customers -- an area Mouser excels in.

I did manage to get business accounts with Rochester Electronics and NJ Semi, but a lot of paperwork was involved....

Larry Halpert
Experienced User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 22:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is Mr. Treacy still reachable? I haven't seen him on these boards in a long while.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 648
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 22:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice work Jeff! , hope Richard is still reachable!
Mike

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2020 - 22:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've ordered the cpacitors, the votage regulator (just in case) and the relays. However, I was unable to source the newer Fujitsu relays. I found the original older OUDH-SH-112D on e-Bay Hong Kong so hopefully they will do the trick

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3693
Posted on Sunday, 10 May, 2020 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard may be contacted through his business, I have no access privileges that would show his access history but I suspect he may visit from time to time.

http://www.spurparts.com.au/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: