Synthetic or Dino Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Synthetic or Dino « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, 30 April, 2020 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have to do my first oil change on my 89 Turbo R. I have no history of oil last used. My Bentley guy says use 20/50 and my choice of synthetic or dino. What have you long term owners recommend?

Richard

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, 30 April, 2020 - 11:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use a zinc additive such as ZDDP designed for flat cam motors.
Look for oils high in phosphorus -1300ppm + and more than 1400ppm of zinc.
Royal Purple or Amsoil have products.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, 30 April, 2020 - 18:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, good advice, I use STP and 10w 40 semi synthetic and have great oil pressure.
Mike

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, 30 April, 2020 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I like dino for classics because it leaks (somewhat) less.

Your Spirit /does/ need lots of ZDDP (as it doesn't have roller tappets). I use a classic oil which is fortified with ZDDP.

Note that the ZDDP thing depends on the motor: my Series 2a is even older, but it has roller tappets and so doesn't need the ZDDP. But it's easier to stock a single oil, and the ZDDP won't do it any harm.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 00:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff, I think the zddp was removed to protect catalyst's.
Mike

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 01:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ahh yes, I should have clarified I meant for classics.

Because Mike is right: the ZDDP will eat your catalytic converter.

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 03:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have always used Shell Rotella 15w-40. While this is designed for diesel motors, it works very well in our engines.

Jeff Young
Frequent User

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yeah, many diesel oils (including Rotella T3 and 4, but NOT T6) still have a reasonable amount of ZDDP in them as there's no catalytic converter to destroy.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Any diesel oil 15-40 but not low saps will do, no need for the snake oil additive as it is condemned to the bin in the USA.
The US FTC investigated the claims made by these oil additive companies and found no evidence that any of the additives provided more protection than sticking with the vehicle manufacturers recommended oil specs and change intervals.

They were threatened with prosecution if they continued with the inflated claims.

FTC rules don't apply here in the UK so they're peddling the stuff to some of us dumb Brits.

Richard Greene
Frequent User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 05:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Appreciate all the comments, but really trying to decide between synthetic and normal oil? Which do you think us best? Currently, there are absolutely no engine leaks. The car has 62,000 miles.

Richard

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 613
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whatever you decide, dino or synthetic...add the ZDDP. Remember, today's oils have far less zinc and phos to make nice with the catalytic converters.
There is alot more wear with our flat cam/pushrods,cam follower design compared to todays roller cam, overhead design with less wear, thus less lead is in today's oil formulations.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3032
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/27-sz-motorcars-1980-2003/11506-oil-zddp-europe.html

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Friday, 01 May, 2020 - 09:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

If you change oil as often as most people do on these cars, it will make no difference whether you use conventional or synthetic, really.

If you plan on doing changes at 5000 miles or fewer or every year at longest there's really not much benefit to switching to synthetic, in my opinion.

Synthetic holds up much better over long periods of time and spans of mileage and if you were thinking of extended change periods then it makes sense. I've used conventional in every car I've owned, including my Jaguar, until the Toyota Solara I now own, because I can go for much longer periods of time and greater miles covered between changes by design, so it makes sense. If I were still doing changes every 3000 miles (which I haven't been, on any car, for some years now) I'd never even consider synthetic.

Brian

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, 14 June, 2020 - 20:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In my Turbo R I always used Valvoline 15W40 mineral oil and changed every year and all fine .In my current 89 Spirit I use Valvoline 20w50 as I did in my Shadow 2 and my Dads 72 Shadow . Great fan of Valvoline oil but in Uk Duckhams and Castrol GTX is another alternative others in club have used.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: