Battery Isolation Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Battery Isolation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 14 April, 2020 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ref a 1996 Bentley Brooklands.

Due to infrequent use and battery drain as a result what is the best remedy (yes I know - use it more!). Either use the isolation switch in the boot although it will not stop all drain as some circuits are still active or disconnect the battery negative terminal as I do on my shadow 11?

Alarm is not activated when I leave it. Had electrical gremlins in the past which I put down to low battery causing things like warning lamp panel to extinquish, cooling fans coming on when cold for no reason, mirrors deciding to motor for no reason etc etc. After a few miles these usually settle down.

I have no power source to hook a charger up to. Like the Shadow, these cars need using but I just don't get the chance or need.

Battery 'bin' is too small to fit a decent sized battery and can only get a type 072 battery to fit (250mm wide).

Will physically disconnecting the battery negative terminal cause issues?

About to buy a new battery, the Optima spiral wound type has a low Ah rating (~50aH) but sufficient CCA and costs GBP156 or I can buy a conventional Varta/Bosch one for GBP86 which effectively gives me two batteries for the price of an Optima.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Tuesday, 14 April, 2020 - 15:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Adrian,
No downside to disconnecting the battery other than losing the preset stations on the radio.
Some people use solar chargers... may be worth considering.
All the best.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, 15 April, 2020 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian, my experience with varta is they do not like being left to go flat. When that happens they will not charge and therfore fail prematurely. Even warranty claim will be rejected, my local dealer tells me that when they submit claim with figures it will be thrown out. On subject of reconnecting, make sure key not in ign. or window open. Early cars had habit locking themselves on reconnection, think they cured that by your car - but it is really irritating!

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 15 April, 2020 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gordon/Omar,

thanks for responses. Ref Varta, I think it makes no difference what make as any battery (unless deep cycle leisure) will be damaged if left to go flat.Hence the question over physical disconnection.

I've experienced strange things on re-connection as mentioned in initial thread. Whether this is low battery related (although still started car) or high resistance in connections I don't know i.e operating seat position switches just operated the mirrors instead!! Once run a while things usually revert to normal.

Give me a car with an SU carb and points, soooo much simpler

Hope you're all staying safe with this virus thing, we've (UK)another 3 weeks lock down to go.

Got the Shadow 11 on stands so I can titivate underneath to keep busy. At least it's sunny & warm.

Regards

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Wednesday, 15 April, 2020 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian,
I’m not to familiar with your car, but if it has an electric clock, disconnecting the battery is the best thing.

Low voltage going to electric motors (no matter how big or small) will cause the motor to eventually burn out.
(This is why we should never run excessively long extension leads to power tools or appliances)
This happens over time due to the constant discharging to 0 volts over and over, and the motor struggling to work with reduced voltage.

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 16 April, 2020 - 05:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I ordered a new Varta E24 today, should arrive tomorrow included in the GBP75 price. Was the only one that would fit in at 260mm wide (or length depending how you look at it!). Most batteries appear 273mm wide which will not fit unless you remove the hold down clamps.
At 9 years old the one to be replaced had it chips and was on borrowed time a long time ago, no doubt the cause of lots of mysterious happenings due to low capacity.
I shall pull the earth terminal to avoid drain when not in use as suggested. Just wondered if anything could get a volt spike when reconnecting but you all seem to suggest no problems.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, 18 April, 2020 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Varta E24 I had fitted lasted 7 1/2 years.
When it failed (suddenly with no warning) I replaced it with another Varta E24

Regards

Darryl

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 18 April, 2020 - 13:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good to hear. A bit dismayed that Crewe do not give sufficient room for a decent sized battery with more oomph - unless you want to do away with the hold down rods. Guess you could screw the wooden lid down as a retainer

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, 18 April, 2020 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I connect a battery conditioner/charger when the car is not in use. Battery stays charged and possibly accounts the previous battery's long life.

Have you connected an amp-meter in series with the live lead to check for current consumption when everything is switched off?

Regards

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 18 April, 2020 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ref charging I have no power source where I keep the Brooklands to use a 'Cetek' or the likes.

Good point ref using an ammeter, I have a hobby multi-meter that should be good for up to 10 Amps.I can try it with and then without the boot master switch turned on/off.

Anyone have an idea of an expected current draw?

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Sunday, 19 April, 2020 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can always check my 1996 Azure for comparison if you want.It should be in the region of milliamps.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2020 - 03:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the allowable parasitic drain is 40 milliamps IIRC. It is is the workshop manual somewhere.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 19 April, 2020 - 20:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That would be good of you Omar if you would. I too would expect a reading in mA but it seems to pull the battery down well in the past.

My Shadow 11 had a reading of around third of an amp and will give a 'flash' when re-connecting the earth strap to body frame - the end retained by the wing nut. I cannot remember which fuse stopped it when pulled. I always leave the Shadow with battery disconnected for safety reasons (and stop it draining) so never bothered me.

The Brooklands with it's plethora of electronics just made me wonder if it was wise to disconnect the battery - hence this posting.

As an aside, from trawling through past posts, did you acquire a Goodwood Phantom in the end?

Regards, Adrian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3678
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2020 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian,

Did he what??????????

Do a search of Omar's posts for the answer.......

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2020 - 14:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Adrian,
I did mate.... one of the best decisions taken in my 50s... My first passenger from the forum will be David Gore if he stops off in Dubai on his way to Europe. Another guest passenger my be my Soviet brother in sin the infamous Vladimir.
The 96 cars don't really have that many electronics. I have no problems disconnecting the battery for lengthy periods and then reconnecting.
However - I am not sure about the airbag light as I have mine bypassed.
I also have the ability to reset the check engine light which may come up after being parked up for a while.

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2020 - 12:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

July 2019 appears the last posting ref acquiring a Phantom. Just searched and comes up with nothing later.

David Gore

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2020 - 15:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Thank you for your very kind and much-anticipated offer which I accept with immense gratitude and it WILL happen once safe international air travel returns. We had planned a RTW trip this northern summer to visit my son in Seattle USA, my long-time family friends in North Carolina and returning via the UK and Dubai.

Adrian,

Omar's purchase is a vehicle that I would happily sell my soul for...........

Check this link and all will be revealed......

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/36928.html?1572795591

Adrian Jumper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 20 April, 2020 - 18:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow, just clicked the link. Amazing. A UK member has a Silver Edition of the Phantom that I have been in a few times on trips out. The sheer power and silence is uncanny not to mention the amazing sound system.
If you are coming over later in the year David try and do a visit to P&A Wood (RR Heritage Dealer) - not too far from London and if you have time visit the Imperial War Museum at Duxford the wartime airfield (still active) with it's amazing collection of aircraft not too far from P&A Wood.

David Gore

Post Number: 3680
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2020 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Adrian,

I have never had the time to visit both the Imperial War Museums in London and Duxford let alone HMS Belfast and Manchester. Have only visited the War Cabinet underground facility in Whitehall where I spent 4 hours and could have spent more. I did manage to get to the Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge near Dover which I highly recommend as being well worth a visit and allow at least half a day to read and look at the exhibits especially the differences between the Merlin and Messerschmidt V12 engines.

There is a Rolls-Royce story there with an explanation as to why the engines had different mounting positions in the British and German fighters - apparently a team of German engineers visited Rolls-Royce in the mid-1930's during the Schneider Trophy Race era and saw a wooden "mock-up" of the R-R V12 engine upside down on a trolley and one of the visiting engineers assumed this was intended to allow the pilot to have better downward forward vision during the races. This feature was later incorporated into the Me109 fighter and had a significant influence on the Battle of Britain due to the forward visibility advantage of the German pilots in the "dog fights".

Adrian Jumper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2020 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well I didn't know that, funny how things happen. The V12 was an improvement over the earlier 'X' configured engine (forget it's name) that was fitted to the Manchester - the forerunner of the Lancaster. They have such an engine in a crashed state at RR Derby.

I cannot recommend IWM Duxford and P&A Wood enough, they are well worth a visit and relatively close together.

You'll have to let us Brits know your itinerary when coming over, nice to put a face to a name.

Back to the battery issue Omar, I did a leak test and it registered .06A with battery master switch on reducing to .04A switched off. Am I correct in thinking that would equate to around 10A a week? That being the case leaving it for a fortnight (very conceivable)would not do a lot for the battery.

The car does have an immobiliser which appears to set itself by default, always a pain as have to deactivate it every time wanting to start the car even if with the car at an event and never locking it.

David Gore

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2020 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Adrian,

Whilst a Metallurgy student at the University of NSW in the mid-1960's, two of our professors were WW2 Hurricane/Spitfire pilots based in the UK and some of their stories gathered at our frequent adjournments to local pubs were a fascinating insight into the aerial conflicts of this era.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Tuesday, 21 April, 2020 - 20:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Adrian,
0.04A is fair enough. I would live with that.
If you also add a solar battery charger - your battery will stay charged forever.

Adrian Jumper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 22 April, 2020 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, thanks for your input, will look into getting a solar charger. Not sure how they work and what prevents them 'reverse charging' from the battery!

David, your story reminded me of a visit to an airfield where a Lancaster currently resides. East Kirkby airfield in Lincolnshire. They are hoping to get the Lanc airworthy. Anyway, was on a visit with a car club which also coincided with a reunion for the personnel stationed there in the war. Everyone in the car club had their heads under each others bonnets. I on the other hand wondered off to the hangar and witnessed the people staioned there in the war. What a fantastic opportunity to hear first hand their accounts of life then - soon to be consigned to the history books as they shuffle off the scene. All these car club guys were totally oblivious and probably uninterested if I'm honest. What an amazing opportunity. One guy who still had his burns was recounting bailing out of his burning Lanc. He said they teach you how to bail out safely without impaling yourself on the tail plane. However he said, when your planes on fire, you and your parachute are on fire you just get out quickly anyway you can. Amazing tales, also from ground crew one who had their tow tractor shot up by a stray German fighter. I asked if he goes to schools and tells of his experiences which he confirmed he does. What a marvelous opportunity to hear these accounts first hand, grab them while you can.
In the hangar are personal items on display including diaries with entries such as "Am I coming home tonight" - if you tune in you can really get a feel for the place.
The Lanc does taxy runs which you can pay to go on. They used to be about £120 back in 2003 but are now approaching £400. Had the tail wheel off the deck once.
Then of course we have RAF Conningsby where the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight reside. Can get right up to the Lanc as it taxis. I pay a visit to the war graves just up the road from the airfield which again no-one bothers with.

Anyway, somewhat strayed from the original battery posting - sorry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: