Fuel Pump (1989 Turbo R) Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Fuel Pump (1989 Turbo R) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, 02 February, 2020 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Bentley tech just called to tell me I need a new fuel pump for my 1989 Turbo R. I just replaced the one in the car (Bosch) with a new pump for a Mercedes 560SL. I was told it is the same as the Bentley pump. He said the car is not starting because the fuel pressure is not right. He is a retired mechanic who worked at the Bentley/RR dealership. I'm wondering if something else is causing the low pressure? Any insight appreciated!

Richard

Udo Hoffmüller
Experienced User
Username: udo

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, 02 February, 2020 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The culprit could be the fuel pressure regulator UE 71608. It is Bosch 0 438 161 001, used in several Ferrari, Lancia, Fiat and Mercedes.

There is a membrane inside the fuel pressure regulator and a spring on top of the membrane. This spring slackens, and the membrane becomes brittle and may start leaking. Then the fuel pressure regulator cannot regulate the pressure properly any longer and must be replaced.

The part is expensive and costs almost £ 400.

Regards - Udo

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3573
Posted on Sunday, 02 February, 2020 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Situations like this always remind me of Henry Ford's often quoted comment:

"I would give my cars away free if I could have the monopoly on supplying the spare parts".

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Saturday, 08 February, 2020 - 16:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This part has baffled me for years.
Why is it so expensive? if you look at the cost of most fuel pressure regulators (including universal ones) you will find that they are around the $35 mark. Take a look at these for example.....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l2632.R2.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xfuel+pressure+regulator+univer.TRS0&_nkw=fuel+pressure+regulator+universal&_sacat=6028&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=6028&_odkw=fuel+pressure+regulator

Why cant we get a universal one to work for us - not for us to use as a replacement part - but to allow us to fault find.

Does anyone know of a universal pressure regulator that we can use in order to test our cars when we suspect that this part has failed?

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 11 February, 2020 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fuel pump on my 89 Turbo R was Bosch and same as big V8 Merc.

My mechanic changed it successfully, lucky no pressure problem but have heard of the pressure regulator problem so interested to find an alternative.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3599
Posted on Friday, 21 February, 2020 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir says:

"Ho what fun Udo just posted $800 AUD for the above.

My prediction is late model Spirits, Spurs & Bentleys will crash in price faster than a Soyuz rocket at maximum whack acceleration.

It will be funny to watch.

There will be blood and lots of it."

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: