1993 SZ Spirit II blink code issue Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 1993 SZ Spirit II blink code issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User
Username: dnadanny1

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 21:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone.

My car has a smart problem with the start acceleration.

Therefore, I try to get the blink code according to the workshop manual.

However, I cant get the blink code from the "Check Engine light". But, when the ignition is on, the "check engine" light is on without blink.

Can anyone please advise whether it is me getting the wrong meaning from the manual or there is some issue happened which makes it doesnt blink?

Appreciate for any input

Thanks,
Danny

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To add on, the manual says press the trip and cancel button until check engine and abs lamps illuminating. However, the check engine lamp of my car illuminates on ignition before pressing the trip and cancel button.

Is there any potential issue?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Monday, 23 December, 2019 - 05:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Check Engine light, also known generically in a great deal of documentation as the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light), will illuminate and stay on if a code has been thrown. If it comes on and flashes while on that generally indicates that what's happening is actively happening at the moment (and that very rarely happens).

According to IETIS you not only have to depress the trip and cancel buttons, but also the K-Motronic diagnostic button next to the fuse board all at the same time, for a minimum of 10 seconds.

I believe you have IETIS. The easiest way to get to the step-by-step directions for doing this is to do a word search on Illustration B then, in the 4 returned results, select the one identified as Procedure. Then be sure to look at each of the respective illustrations as you work through the steps.

If it's possible for you to take a video of the with your smartphone of what occurs on the Check Engine Warning Panel after you hold down the three prescribed buttons for the duration of at least 10 seconds, and post a link to same, that would probably help others help you better.

Brian

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, 23 December, 2019 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like you may have inadvertently set the DIP into programming mode. Instructions for retrieving fault codes is on page 46 here: http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p3.pdf

Also, programming the DIP is here on page 18: http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p1.pdf

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 05 January, 2020 - 13:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://streamable.com/yztfa`

the attached video link is what I did to blink the code, which ,as a result, is in vain.

The check engine light is on when i turn the ignition on, instead of pressing the diagnostic button.

Hope the video can explain more clearly my situation.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Danny

Jim Walters
Frequent User

Post Number: 284
Posted on Monday, 06 January, 2020 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are you pressing the square black button in the glove box after pressing the set and cancel buttons? It doesn't appear that you are doing that in the video.

www.bristolmotors.com

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 07 January, 2020 - 09:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I cant film both pressing action and the dot matrix display at the same time, therefore I only focus on the response of the dot matrix display.
At 19 seconds of the clip, when I say "Press!" and start counting, it is the signal for another person on the passenger seat to start pressing the square black button in the glove box. At the same time, I released the cancel and trip button.

BTW, when I follow alternative 2 to press 3 trip, cancel and square black button in the glove box, after ignition on, the result is the same with alternative 1 I used in the clip.

However, when I try the alternative 2 to press 3 trip, cancel and square black button in the glove box, and ignition on at the same time, there is a green light illuminated saying "System Check".

Can you please tell me what is the meaning of it? And, which method is the right way to blink the code?

Thank you for asking.

Regards,
Danny

Jim Walters
Frequent User

Post Number: 287
Posted on Tuesday, 07 January, 2020 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK Danny, had another look at the video. Press the trip and cancel as you have been doing but hold them down a little longer. Let go of them and then press the square black one after a couple seconds and hold until both ABS and check engine warnings illuminate. I think you are pressing the black button too quickly and also letting go of the black button too quickly. It can take more than 4 seconds for it to go into diagnostic mode so hold the black button a little longer. Also make sure your battery is fully charged and it is a good idea to have a trickle charger hooked up while you are operating the diagnostic system. It can be sensitive to low voltage and it doesn't take much. I think you are just taking your finger off the buttons too quickly, and maybe wait a second after lifting your fingers off the cancel and set buttons. Try that and report back.

www.bristolmotors.com

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 11 January, 2020 - 12:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I tried your approach to get things done slowly. However, I still cant blink the code out.
And, when I pressed down the square button, the "Check Gearbox" illuminated in a sequence of 2-1-2-1.

Could you please advise the meaning of this?

Also, I will also check the wiring of square button today.

Thanks again for your help, and I will keep you posted when there is any progress.

Udo Hoffmüller
Experienced User
Username: udo

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, 26 January, 2020 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All advice given does not take into account that the car has the 4L80E gearbox. In this case you must not use the black button in the fuse board compartment to get access to the engine fault codes. The black button is only used to activate reading of gearbox faults.

Code 2121 means IDLE SWITCH FAULT, the idle control maps are not recognised, the engine is running on part load map. Gearbox fault codes are shown with only two digits, so 2121 is an engine fault code.

By the way, to avoid confusion and wrong advice, you should always give the chassis number. If your car is a 94 model, the procedure is completely different.

Regards - Udo

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, 26 March, 2020 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you so much for your help Udo.
My car is 1993 Silver Spirit II, and the chassis is SCAZS02A5PCH46132.

Could you please tell me the separate procedure to blink the gearbox code and engine fault code? Thanks

Is it possible that the 2121 engine code is actually 21 gearbox fault code? Thanks

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, 27 March, 2020 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nearly everything with late cars is a bit of nightmare. Alarm Ecuador’s etc. Have a 98 ( vin 66819) with air bag light on. As I understand the only diagnostics are main dealer. Live on small island, is there any other way. Had late cd but laptop/ cd given up/ timed out!

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Friday, 27 March, 2020 - 20:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The only solution I had (when the main dealer gave up!!!) was to add a circuit into the DIP (Display Information Panel) to trick the airbag light not to come on. I have accepted that driving my 96 car and my 78 car is equally dangerous/safe. Neither have airbags now.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, 27 March, 2020 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Omar,

That's my concern. I used to run main dealer, currently they have no staff who have had any exposure to these cars and they are on bonus system that does not-to be fair to them- give them any incentive to work on these cars.

Would you have info/drawing of circuit-please? This is not a profit job, it is for old friend!

P.S. always said two jobs you do not want to be in-a doctor, everyone has a medical issue and a mechanic, everyone has a car issue!!

Only kidding, have enjoyed life of R-R and Bentley

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1967
Posted on Sunday, 29 March, 2020 - 02:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have sent you a private message Gordon.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: