1990 Spur II suspension too firm. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1990 Spur II suspension too firm. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Laurence Stanislaus
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.20.35.28
Posted on Tuesday, 03 January, 2006 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Chaps,

I am experiencing some difficulties with my 1990 Spur II - following front spring replacement, the ride is too firm.... Intermitently. Often, it is pure bliss - other times, terribly unpleasant.

As I understand, the Spur II benefits from the wonders of Rolls Royce automatic ride control. Is this correct?

If so, what could possibly cause an intermitent condition resulting in an uncomfortably harsh ride? Is there any sensor that could do with adjustment? Is the only answer to replace the front shocks? Is there a control module of some sort that can be recalibrated to suit my tastes?

Thank you.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2006 - 17:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Laurence you did ask. Here is the good guff from the original release notes. I have yet to find the workshop stuff but I fear it's a visit to the agents for diagnosis.

All 1990 model year four door Rolls Royce and Bentley motor cars are fitted with an electronically controlled variable ride damping (VRD) system. This system provides automatic selection from a range of three modes (comfort, sport and normal) to ensure optimum suspension performance under all operating conditions.

The VRD system utilizes essentially similar components and layout to the previous suspension damping system i.e. two hydraulic dampers to the front of the motor car and two hydraulic struts with gas springs at the rear.

However, the front dampers and rear gas spring adapter housings are now fitted with pairs of electrically controlled solenoid valves which are used to change the damping rate within the strut or damper .

Selection of the appropriate damping mode (comfort, sport or normal) is fully automatic being controlled by two electronic control units (ECU). The first of these EW's is the 'System Controller' which is located above the front passengers feet and contains a micro processor and three accelerometers to monitor vertical, longitudinal and lateral movement of the motor car.

The second ECU is the'Power unit which is located behind the fuseboard and is connected to the 'System Controller' ECU by a short loom and multi pin connector. The 'Power' ECU provides the output signal to the damper/strut solenoids to activate the appropriate solenoids as dictated by the'System Controller' ECU.

Other inputs to the 'System Controller' ECU include steering wheel rotational velocity via a belt driven transducer, a road speed signal from one of the anti lock braking system road wheel sensors and switching signals from the throttle position switch and brake light switch.

In the event of the signal to the solenoids failing for any reason, the system will select 'sport' mode which provides the greatest vehicle stability and indicates a system fault to the driver via a warning mode lamp. Also, the suspension remains in 'sport’ below 3 mph to maintain ground clearance when manoeuvering and to prevent excessive 'squatting' of the rear of the motor car under hard initial acceleration.

Mark Herbstreit
Experienced User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, 04 January, 2006 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The box of tricks Bill is referring to (Praeclarum pg 6-89, 1627). I think this is the one above the passengers feet.
sii

Laurence Stanislaus
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.173.32.207
Posted on Friday, 06 January, 2006 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mark and Bill,

Many thanks - this is exactly the information I was looking for.

Are the CD manuals sold on ebay worth pursuing or are they totally useless?

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, 07 January, 2006 - 14:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The bootlegs of my CD's on eebay are from my copyguarded CD's, and don't work consistently with all CD drives, as copying them makes imperfect copies. Plus, the sellers have no idea how the time-limit patch works or if the buyer has any questions. I get many emails from those people.

I have the complete set on CD that covers your 1990 Spur II.

Here are other year ranges as well:

http://www.rrbew.co.uk/tbird-0.htm

Please email me if interested.

Thanks,

Larry Halpert
tbird@consultant.com

Arthur Francis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 202.67.65.166
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2006 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I had the "auto ride" light on in my car,I found that only the authorized RR/Bentley dealer had the diagnostic tools to solve the problem.
Can these systems be repaired without them ?

Hameed Noor Mohamed
New User
Username: hameednoor

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2006 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

check this out

http://rrbew.mywowbb.com/forum1/72.html

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2006 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is great stuff to.

http://www.bdcl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=887