1989 Bentley Turbo R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 1989 Bentley Turbo R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, 24 November, 2019 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm looking at a 1989 Bentley Turbo R tomorrow. What is the consensus on this model? I have several Shadows and a 82 Spur. With the exception of the more powerful engine, what are the negatives? THANKS!

Richard

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, 24 November, 2019 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very good reliable cars but always need to carry a spare twin distributor drive belt as not easy to get so be prepared about $10 from Flying Spares

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, 24 November, 2019 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

I have an '89 turbo and think they're about the best year for reliability and ease of servicing , not really needing a laptop to do anything and no airbags to worry about.

The body is everything , check sills, wheel arches, spring cups and lower front of wings and everywhere else!

See what servicing has been done.

Enjoy the ride which you will find much firmer than the Rolls Royces but shouldn't be bouncy ok

Good luck
Mike

Nigel Coombe
New User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, 25 November, 2019 - 16:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In our club they always ask if it is a 'K' which basically means 88/89 from Vin number as best model.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2019 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys,

I looked at the 89 Turbo R a few weeks ago. The car was solid with absolutely no rust which was a tremendous positive. Interior was extremely nice! The car had been idle for about 8 months (but had been driven daily prior), but would not start. It would turn over strongly, but just would not start. I told him I would consider the car if he could get it started. The owner took the car to a repair shop. They determined it was not getting gas to the fuel rail. That's where the shop stopped because the owner did not go further. The owner called me this morning offering me the car as is for ONLY $1300.00! Of course, I told him I would buy it. I drove 2 hours to pay him and have had the car delivered. I'm sure I will have MANY questions! With the holidays approaching, it will be a few weeks before I begin working on it. I have a 82 Spur. Is the Turbo R similiar? ANY guidance would be tremendously appreciated!

Richard

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2019 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot the VIN: SCBZR0384KCX26376

Jeff Young
Frequent User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 412
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2019 - 11:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Turbo R has a lot of things in common with the Spur, but some differences too (mainly in engine management & fuel delivery).

Can't beat that price, though. :-)

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2019 - 11:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good luck with your car Richard, it looks great.

Richard.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2019 - 12:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Car looks fabulous, great colour too. Probably only needs a fuel pump and fuel filter with a bit of luck or the problem might be as simple as a blown fuse or bad relay if you're even luckier. May you have endless enjoyment with her.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 544
Posted on Thursday, 19 December, 2019 - 13:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that the eight letter/digit in the chassis number should be "B" rather than "8" e.g., SCBZR03"B"4K26376.

Nigel Coombe
New User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having had same model the only problem was the fuel pump which my local mechanic replaced for me and it was standard Bosch one same as for a V8 Mercedes of same era .Not starting this would be my first step and perhaps new fuel as it can go off.

Nigel Coombe
New User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 20:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry is very correct and can be the starter really under the bonnet and of course fuel filter

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 569
Posted on Friday, 20 December, 2019 - 22:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Buy a fuel pressure gauge and check against factory specs.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, 21 December, 2019 - 00:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel....GREAT! I already have a new Mercedes fuel pump "on the shelf" in case one on my 560SL should go bad! Thanks for letting me know it will work on the Bentley. Is it located near the right rear wheel like on the Shadow?

With the holidays, I will not be able to get back to the car for at least a week.

I want to drain the gas in the tank. Is there a plug on the bottom of the tank? I have an electric suction pump, but the drain plug would be better.

What are the problem areas with the 89? I understand they are much simpler than the later ones which is great!

Richard

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Saturday, 21 December, 2019 - 14:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
It is your fuel pump for sure. I can put money on it.
Cars from USA and Japan are renowned for this problem. The fuel specifications in these countries is such that the fuel pump seizes if the car is left to stand for many months. Unlike the UK (and probably the rest of Europe too) where you can leave the car for several years and nothing happens to the fuel pumps.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the pump is not running you could also look at.

Check fuel pump fuse and relay.
Engine management relay.
Accident cut off switch in engine bay.

Also make sure you havecat least 25l of fuel on the tank.

Good luck with her :-)

Thomas J. Bueld
New User
Username: thomas_j_bueld

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I own an 84 US - Version Spur, so no Turbo. But I assume the same logic as with my car to shut off the fuel pump in case of an accident. The pump will run only if the "Engine Run Sensor" (located behind the fuse board) is satisfied by some parameters and in turn will operate a relay located behind the right trunk cover. This relay will then hot wire the battery with the fuel pump and make it run. You can easily bridge this relay to make the fuel pump run and sort out whether pump or sensor failure. In my case the Engine Run Sensor failed (common in most cases). There are a lot of "Sensor Dealers" out there who want to finance their next "Round the world holiday vacation" by selling just one sensor. If you are familiar with electrics and able for a little soldering look out for a similar relay used for mass production vehicles to achieve the same accident protection for just a small money. I posted about the Engine Run Sensor alternative somewhere here

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, 22 December, 2019 - 14:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

EXCELLENT info. This is EXACTLY what I will need when get to "her" after the holidays! I KNOW I will need your help and have lots of questions!

Richard

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2020 - 13:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

FINALLY, I had a chance to "play" with the 89 Turbo R. The fuel pump was indeed bad. I replaced it and now have fuel to the motor/fuel distributor, but NO joy!

The motor tries to start by "hitting" a few times, but does not actually start. During this time, the tach needle moves wildly. I have fire to the spark plugs on both sides of the engine.

I was told to check the "engine management fuse" and to unplug the engine management module under the relay cover on the right side of the engine compartment. I looked casually for the engine management fuse but did see it in the dropdown main fuse compartment.

Not really knowing this model, any help much appreciated!

Richard

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2020 - 17:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you are getting sparks on both sides then your problem is fuel.

when you say that you have fuel reaching the fuel distributor - how are you seeing this?

It is possible that the same gunk that killed your fuel pump is also blocking your fuel distributor. But before we jump to that conclusion - please trace the point at which you have fuel and the point at which you have no fuel.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, 02 January, 2020 - 21:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
Seems strange about the rev counter I suspect you crank sensors one on the front pulley one on the flywheel.are both rotor arms turning? How old is the fuel?
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: