Removing the timber trim on my '87 Sp... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Removing the timber trim on my '87 Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Hutton
Experienced User
Username: gph

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, 15 November, 2019 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello chaps, I am about to enter my first Queensland summer with a Black SZ and frankly while the A/c works well enough given the age of the technology, on a warm Qld day it struggles. I am going to tint the windows (I know some purists won't like this idea)however while modern tint is really good, finding someone with know how to do the job on a 32 year old car is more difficult. i have had a brief you tube search for a how to video to remove the timber trim, but so far no luck, is there anyone here with some experience and tips on how NOT to not stuff it up?

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, 15 November, 2019 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Make sure you remove the two tiny screws underneath the rubber door weatherstrip when removing the door wood trims. One at the front and one at the rear. They go though the door frame into the wood but the heads are hidden under the weatherstrip. The other fasteners are in clear view at the bottom after removing the door upholstery panel.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Saturday, 16 November, 2019 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Graham,
out of interest... how is removing wood trim in any way connected to tinting windows?
thanks
Omar

Graham Hutton
Experienced User
Username: gph

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, 16 November, 2019 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, this was a mystery to me too. However I am told that it is necessary. Hence my query to you all.
Graham

PS. How’s the new car going?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 558
Posted on Saturday, 16 November, 2019 - 22:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maybe get a second opinion from another shop.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Sunday, 17 November, 2019 - 04:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Graham,
thanks for asking.
I have become a BMW expert now!!!
The stereo in this car is like being in the Albert Hall. Incredible quality factory original stereo that is simply the Rolls-Royce of all stereos. And the previous owner had cut the wires to install a mediocre bluetooth device. I have lamost completely undone his vandalism - not yet all.

The sticking of solar film is huge in Dubai. They can do a whole car in 45 minutes. True experts at it. You and I will spend about 4 hours doing it.
The idea is to get the right type of film - which does not mean that it has to be tinted. You can get clear films that cut out the UV significantly.
The boys here use lots of windowlene or equivalent to wet both the film and the glass. The film then slides easily to where you want it. You then use plastic scrapers to push the film below the door caps and you then lower the windows to get the film to reach the top of the glass. You use the scraper to push the liquid out and within an hour the film is stuck on proper.

Do it yourself mate.

oh and a trick they use is to precut the film on the outside of the windows in order for them to be an almost perfect fit when they peel the clear sheet off. All with lots of liquid.

All the best,
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Sunday, 17 November, 2019 - 04:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIaShbOobrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIoy7aIU_Bs

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: