Heater expectations Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Heater expectations « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward Mckinley
Yet to post message
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, 24 October, 2019 - 01:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

regarding my 89 Corniche II, it seems to me that my heater is not as hot as I expect it to be. However, this is my first RR so I was curious about other owners experience.
If I turn on the defroster, the temperature of the air (using an infrared thermometer) reads 94 degrees F. However, moving the control to "High" with the temperature rolled over to full red top and bottom yields a temperature at the dash vents to approx 80 degrees F.
I was having wildly fluctuating temps at the dash vents previously and so I have changed the monovalve and flushed the entire system, the fluctuating temps have been remedied after replacing the monovalve but it seems like the heater should be producing hotter temps. Thanks for any help!

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 553
Posted on Thursday, 24 October, 2019 - 02:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Make sure the airboxes that connect to both fans have a good seal. External air will easily find it's way in. Also, in some cases the seals around the various flaps used to direct airflow can deteriorate.
The factory service manual at the Bentley Heritage site can provide useful info. The home page here has a link to service info also.

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 24 October, 2019 - 07:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you,
I inspected the left side fan to air box gasket when I changed the mono valve and it seemed good, also I would think that would also affect the defroster which is hotter than the dash vents.

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 24 October, 2019 - 12:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I guess I'm wondering if the heat at the defroster should be hotter than 90 degrees F and whether it is normal for the heat at the dash to be cooler than the defroster.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 554
Posted on Thursday, 24 October, 2019 - 21:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One thing you do not want is very high heat at the defroster. Unlike your rear window defroster with fine wires which distribute heat evenly, having hot air blowing onto the windscreen unevenly has been shown to cause stress and therefore cracks. This has happened with two cars I have owned.

Alf Bast
New User
Username: alfbast

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 24 October, 2019 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I own a Corniche 2 1988 vin 24570 and I also have the feeling my heating is not hot enough

Edward Mckinley
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 30 October, 2019 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The temperature at the thermostat housing is reading 185-190F. Is the mixing flap used for the defroster? that would explain the difference in heat from defroster to heat at the dash vents

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: