Valve chest seal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Valve chest seal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 237
Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2019 - 17:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello! My 1984 Spirit failed the French CT because of new and very tough regulations demanding NO oil leaks! She's had an engine bay clean and anti-rust treatment underneath, and is now being stripped to replace the rocker box gaskets (which were leaking) with the rubber ones instead of the cork ones. Kit from Introcar. My question concerns the valve chest, I think there's a flat plate screwed down between the cylinder blocks that had a silk thread as an oil seal. While apart we'll have a look at that - I suspect it is leaking a little at the front left corner - can we simply use a bead of haemetite or similar to seal it? Remove what's left of the silk thread. Or any other ideas?

Thank you ...

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 544
Posted on Saturday, 28 September, 2019 - 21:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The new valve cover gaskets require new "distance" spacers and grommets around the fasteners.
The silk thread is used for sealing the plate beneath the intake manifold. Very little if any oil ever leaks from this area. To re-seal the plate requires removal of the intake manifold (new gaskets required), removal of the hydraulic pumps (mounted to the "plate") below it and a careful re-torqueing when assembled.

Nigel Johnson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 29 September, 2019 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a feeling it may not be the tappet chest but the front pump seals.
The regs are very tough if they demand no oil leaks.
The new rocker box seals are an improvement but might need a spot of RTV to seal properly. Cleaning out the channels of the rockerbox is vital and time cosuming. Good luck Rod.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, 29 September, 2019 - 15:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert and Nigel - I'm fortunate in that my local Renault garage owner is a classic car owner himself, he actually has 5 dating from 1938. So he's familiar with older cars and their little ways. He's also keen to work on my Spirit himself (he has 3 good mechanics working for him too). So I have my fingers crossed that he'll find and sort out the problems as he goes.

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, 29 September, 2019 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also meant to add that I got a rocker box replacement seal kit from Introcar that included the grommets and spacers for the rubber seals in place of the existing cork ones. Impressive service - on two occasions now I have ordered parts one day - and they arrived here in rural France the following day.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, 29 September, 2019 - 22:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will find using a tacky sealant to aid in attaching the seal to the valve cover helps with the installation. Just add a few dabs here and there especially in the corners, no other sealant should be used on the face-to -metal contact. Over tightening may cause them to leak.

BTW now is a good time to clean and paint the valve covers and use a sandpaper block to sand the paint of the logo. I powdercoated mine and they are stunning.

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 583
Posted on Sunday, 29 September, 2019 - 23:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod good luck!
I have to do mine, I wonder if someone could tell me how much stuff has to come off a turbo R to do the job?

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, 30 September, 2019 - 00:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

how much stuff has to come off a turbo R to do the job?....Should be apparent. Anything that prevents you from lifting the valve covers out of the way would be an obstacle, hence, it has to be removed.

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 584
Posted on Monday, 30 September, 2019 - 01:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The reason for asking is I don't want to take things off I don't need to, because looking at it loads have to be disturbed.
Mike

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, 30 September, 2019 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mike! Bit of a bugger! It's bad enough on Echo in that pretty well everything you can see when you open the bonnet, has to come off! And Echo isn't a turbo, so I imagine yours is even worse! My guess is about 3 hours just to get to the rocker boxes ...

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Tuesday, 01 October, 2019 - 22:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope the engine breather etc was checked first!

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 19:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod
Hope your job is progressing OK, I've read somewhere about a triangle plate that can leak on the back maybe worth checking OK
Thanks for the info
Mike

Roderick Waite
Frequent User

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 19:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike, well, things move along. Echo has now had both rocker box joints replaced, no other leaks found in the area, engine and underside cleaned and treated with anti-rust sealant (Rustol Owatrol). The whole job only cost €389 plus the parts. But the original hydraulic leak has re-appeared, so she's going back in to have that fixed. The Controle Technique inspector has also come up with an offer to buy her himself! So it's all go at the moment ...

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 586
Posted on Monday, 07 October, 2019 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

He must know a great car when he sees one, good luck
Mike

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 06:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
Well I replaced my rocker cover gaskets , they were baked hard.
But I still have a very small leak and can't find the source. Any suggestions?
It is engine oil, a drip or 2 after driving.
Could I use ac ultra violet indicator in the engine?
Cheers Mike

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 523
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 12:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is the leak high up or low down, front or rear, driver's side or passenger side? There are so many possibilities. The gasket for the oil filter housing is one place where leaks can occur and the seal on the spin-on oil filter is another to mention but a couple of usual suspects. If it's the spin-on oil filter you're in luck as a gentle tightening twist could cure that.

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Larry , it drips off the rack pinion, I just can't see where it's coming from my oil is very clean so doesn't leave a trace.
Thanks Mike

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2019 - 07:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've heard of folks shaking talcum powder to trace the source of hydraulic leaks but I've never tried that method myself. I presume that if it works for hydraulic fluid it should work for tracking down the source of engine oil leaks too. Perhaps someone who has tested this method could chip.

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2019 - 20:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Will have proper oil seals front and back of crank, instead of scrolls. Most likey front brake pump. if not most byutal strip that runs across front of engine (timing cover. This sticks out at both ends of timing cover. Best is to just really clean front of engine and run up. You must have patience to do this as sometimes things only leak when engine HOT. Don't forget to remove gearbox isolator when running up in shop/garage for safety. resume you HAVE cleaned crankcase breather out!

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User

Post Number: 557
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2019 - 22:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most
likely it is the triangle seal at the oil filler.
This will weep oil when the motor is running and drip onto the steering rack below fooling you it may be a bad P/S connection or hose.
Move the alternator forward and remove the 3 bolts on the oil filler housing. The original seal is paper thin. I made my own from thicker material and everything is dry below it.

michael vass
Frequent User

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2019 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
Thanks for your tips and suggestions!
I will give them a go the next nice day we get, could be a while lol
Cheers
Mike

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Tuesday, 12 November, 2019 - 23:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I used the talcum powder method to trace a leak in the front accumulator area on my car. It was a tip from Paul Yorke. Worked great. Made the engine smell nice as well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: