1984 Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 1984 Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, 14 September, 2019 - 03:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just had my 1984 Spirit tested ('CT' here in France) and the tester pointed out a worn ball joint at the top of the left hand king-pin that should be replaced within 2 months. Does this sound right or have I got it wrong? Can anyone advise what it's called and where I get a new one from, please. The car chassis is ECH 09680, Thank you!

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 497
Posted on Saturday, 14 September, 2019 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a track rod ball joint but I could be wrong. For your model I think the whole track rod with ball joints comes as a single unit on each side but I'm more familiar with the Silver Shadow. Flying Spares or Introcar Ltd should have them but some track rods are on back order.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Saturday, 14 September, 2019 - 06:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Roderick

It's always useful to refer to a parts diagram to figure out what you need. Flying Spares put up the parts diagrams for most categories. For front suspension:

https://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rolls-royce-spirit-spur-bentley-turbo-mulsanne/suspension/front-suspension/ball-joints/upper-top.html

Looks to me it's the upper ball joint that the tester is referring to, priced 125gbp for a recon part and 189gbp for an oem part. Either way, it's not going to break the bank.

A great parts reference site can be found here - just click on "catalogue"

https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: