What is Fuel/oil level change-over sw... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » What is Fuel/oil level change-over switch? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User
Username: dnadanny1

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there.
As i am reading through the wiring diagram from IETIS's Workshop Manual Electrical 90-91, there is an item called "Fuel/oil level change-over switch". And, I dont know the rationale of this item.
Can anyone explain to me what is the usage or function of Fuel/oil level change-over switch?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Danny

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 16:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Danny - on my 1984 Spirit there are two buttons on the dash - the left hand one springs the flap of the petrol filler, and the right hand one converts the fuel gauge into an engine oil level gauge as a quick check on status. Very handy. So the item must be the gizmo that enables that function.

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 17:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your information, Roderick.

My 93 silver spirit seems has not such switch on the dash, please see attached picture.

Also, as i am tracking the dysfunction of fuel level sender from the wiring diagram, the diagram shows that 90-91 and 94-96 has such switch. That means 93 has no such switch?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Danny

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Danny,
You do have the switch. Look at the photo that you have posted. What is the button that has an image of an oil can? That is the button you have to press in order to see how much oil you have in the engine. The fuel gauge becomes an oil level gauge when you press that button as detailed by Roderick.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Though it is possible that an issue with fuel level display could be linked to the oil level view switching switch, I don't think that's highly probable.

It's purpose is to switch the input to the gauge.

If the gauge itself were bad then it should read the same whether fuel or oil levels were being shown.

If the display changes to something expected when oil level is being shown, but nonsensical when being used in default mode as a fuel gauge I'd be far more inclined to first believe the fuel level sender has died or that something between the fuel level sender and the gauge that interprets input from same has been compromised in some way.

If nothing changes regardless of whether viewing fuel or oil level, I expect the gauge itself has gone wonky or that the connection to it has possibly come loose or the wiring been cut.

That view switching switch can serve a really useful diagnostic purpose in a case like this.

Brian

Roderick Waite
Frequent User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 233
Posted on Monday, 26 August, 2019 - 06:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Golly Danny! That bears no resemblance whatsoever to my 1984 Spirit! That central console on mine is the central aircon vent and the radio. The buttons I am referring to are on a walnut panel to the right of the steering column, but I would guess the oilcan marked button does the same job, as Omas says. I can't imagine any other use for it.

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 31 August, 2019 - 01:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you very much for your information.

I own this car for so many years, and I finally know what is the function of this oil can button until now on this forum. This forum has been useful to me as always.

Thank you everyone here again!

Regards,
Danny

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, 01 September, 2019 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cho, please just take time to read through handbook that comes with car. It is REALLY informative. Such a shame lots owners never know what is raelly a R-R or Bentley. Just takes time /effort, do not have to be a technician it is an owner manual. Been working on product since 1965 and still learn!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Sunday, 01 September, 2019 - 05:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gordon,

While I agree with you 100%, I have also learned that RR and Bentley motorcars often suffer the same fate as all others - separation of the car from its Owner's Handbook.

I have, over the years, scanned the ones I have and borrowed several more to OCR scan and make available from my Google Drive.

Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow and Bentley T Owner's Handbook, 2nd Edition (TSD2394) - Reprinted 1975
Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II and Bentley T2 Owner's Handbook (TSD4200) - 1977

I have not, as yet, had anyone willing to part with their SZ Owner's Handbooks to allow me to scan those, and I won't be buying an SZ car to get my hands on them! ;-) [Seriously, though, if anyone would like to volunteer their Owner's Handbooks for scanning, get in touch with me by PM. Electronic copy is very handy for quick searching and a great many people are without hard copy to begin with.]

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Sunday, 01 September, 2019 - 05:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately I cant help Brian.
My Turbo R came without a book. The Azure too. I do however have the book for the Phantom. In fact I have 2!!! One in English and one in Arabic. It is not so much a book as a telephone directory. A very good door stop.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Sunday, 01 September, 2019 - 05:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

And I wouldn't impose upon anyone to do international shipping even if they volunteered!

I have heard that the Owner's Handbooks for the post-Crewe models have become real tomes, which is a bit of a shame, really, as it will put some people off. That being said, most Owner's Manuals (for cars) are not meant to be read, "cover to cover," as standard operating procedure, as you wouldn't remember most of it anyway. They're reference material, generally with a section on "getting to know your car" that covers all the controls and things you need to know to drive it day-to-day.

Brian, who wouldn't want to be scanning a telephone directory length Owner's Handbook even if it were available to me!

CHO SHU PUI DANNY
New User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 01 September, 2019 - 16:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry. My car also comes without an Owner handbook. Thats why I have to ask here. If there is a hankbook, I will definitely read it before I ask on the forum. And, I have been searching for copies as Brian do.

But, I think that is the beauty of forum. The comment from owners is much understandable and comprehensive than an Owner Manual. Thats why we are here.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Really appreciate it a lot.

Regards,
Danny

Larry Halpert
Experienced User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2019 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And, of course, the TSD 4200 is actually the 77-80 workshop manual, not the owner's handbook.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2019 - 21:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Danny if you want a handbook for your car look at eBay in Australia, USA and UK. I have seen them on eBay quite a few times.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: