How to "take weight of engine" when r... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » How to "take weight of engine" when removing oil sump (pan) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anders Nilsson
New User
Username: nilssan

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, 06 August, 2019 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I am about to remove the engine's oil sump (pan) to address a leaking gasket and suspect contamination of sludge in the oil strainer. Car is a 1981 Rolls-Royce Corniche.

I have read several informative treads on this "involving" topic, but have not been able to identify the correct point on the engine to "take its weight" while the front engine mount with the cross-member are removed. Workshop manual TSD 4400 page E6-4 says "6. Suitably position a sling around the upper front of the engine. Do not "take the weight" of the engine on the crankshaft damper and pulley assembly".

However, except for what seems quite obvious, i.e. a sling around the crankshaft pulley, I can see no suitable way to hook around the "upper front of the engine", unless first having to remove AC compressor, air pump, and power steering pump with associated drive belts (not mentioned in the workshop manual).

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Anders

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, 06 August, 2019 - 20:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anders, you could support the engine with stay under the automatic transmission. I would use a large rubber holder between the stay and the transmission pan marked "GMC".

I doubt the weight of the engine and transmission would crush the pan and if it did I would replace the cheap pressed steel pan with an aftermarket finned aluminium pan that would provide better cooling than the original.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, 06 August, 2019 - 21:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Suggestion:I remove my engine/trans many times by dropping the subframe and I'm well aware of the front crossmember and steering rack in the way. I would not suggest as Vlad mentioned to add all that weight on the trans pan. It is merely heavy gauge sheet metal. My suggestion is to obtain a wood 4x4 and place it across the engine bay from spring plate to spring plate with a towel underneath each end. Then string small chain or wire rope thru the exhaust manifolds on each side to support the motor.
Are you using a lift? If so you can support from underneath from floor to block at the manifolds with 2x4's

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Wednesday, 07 August, 2019 - 10:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert's suggestion is good and doing that way you have the option of being able to remove the automatic transmission if you suspect the oil is leaking not just from the sump gasket but also from the rear main seal.

I have seen many many engines like Buick Riviera 1965 to Cadillac 8.2 litre supported under the transmission pan without crushing the pan.

Given that those engines would be far heavier being cast iron block and heads as opposed to Rolls Royce aluminium block and heads I would not fear support under the pan but that's just me.

Anders Nilsson
New User
Username: nilssan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 14 August, 2019 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for your valuable input. I will soon start the work and report back its outcome.

Anders

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: