Window stuck in „Open“ - Position. So... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Window stuck in „Open“ - Position. Solution for „in case of“ « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas J. Bueld
New User
Username: thomas_j_bueld

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 01 July, 2019 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many of vintage RR/B- owners make/made the experience now and then that a window will remain stuck in open position when it better should be closed. It will mostly happen when a rain shower is imminent, or one is going to park a car in public areas i.e. to have dinner with a nice blonde. Most of us will reroute to flee the rain cloud or even cancel dinner in order to anchor the ship in a safe haven like the own garage.

In 90% of those events the problem are bad/broken wire connections and microswitch failures. The motor itself is of a less frequent reason.

So here what I did to be prepared for immediate action :

I drilled a hole on the bottom side of each door next below to the motor and installed a (ground) isolated 3,5 mm socket like one uses for mono headphones. The two pins (+/-) I connected to the green and red cables supplying the motors. Then I set up a two-wired cable with a plug fitting a cigar lighter socket on one side and a 3,5 mm mono plug on the other side, length about 4 feet. Remind about polarity. Store it in the glove box.

Now, once the window will be stuck in open you have to do two things.

Make sure ignition is OFF.
Connect the cable to the socket on the lower side of the door
Insert the cigar lighter plug and - surprise - the window will close. (Blondes will be impressed :-)
Remove the cable.

Keep in mind that the polarity might change with IGN ON (polarity matters). So a ground-isolated socket is mandatory. Keep IGN OFF on procedure !! Cigar lighters are connected directly to the battery and are hot wired even with IGN OFF.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, 01 July, 2019 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good emergency solution Thomas. Thanks for sharing. Would it work with brunettes too?

Thomas J. Bueld
New User
Username: thomas_j_bueld

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 01 July, 2019 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mmmh, just let me check the wiring diagram..... Yes - red is blue and plus is minus - so I think no need to change polarity in case of brunettes :-D

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: