Headlight Change Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Headlight Change « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Greene
Experienced User
Username: benzjag

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, 28 June, 2019 - 10:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have changed the US headlights on my Spur to the European solid glass. Now, I think I like the Bentley round lights! Has anyone done the conversion????

Richard

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2116
Posted on Friday, 28 June, 2019 - 12:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They did on the Bentley restored on Wheeler Dealers. It can be found in the link below. In the prog it looks like a straight swap. Check 28 mins in for the price.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5wax9a

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 566
Posted on Friday, 28 June, 2019 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Up to you but I don't think they look right on a Rolls Royce
Just my opinion.
Mike

gordon le feuvre
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, 28 June, 2019 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The factory used to list kit. Flying Spares UK has set of used listed at £660.00. From memory, very easy to fit/wire up.
Hope this helps!

gordon le feuvre R-R trained
Frequent User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, 28 June, 2019 - 21:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Richard, flying Spares part no. is RH3165U

Gordon

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2019 - 02:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

They are interchangeable. But in many people's eyes having Bentley lights with a Rolls grill is seen as a regression. But people's opinion should never matter - one must only do what makes one happy. I have made many deviations from acceptable in my lifetime and many a set of dentures have been spat as a consequence of my mods.....

Do what makes you happy.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2019 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

RRMC have always made vehicles with customisation according to the purchaser's wishes so I can see no reason for "aficianados" to cast aspersions on Richard's after-purchase modifications using genuine RRMC parts.

The last sentence in Omar's post above says it all.

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, 29 June, 2019 - 10:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

P&A Wood in England. Great facility. Here's a new Phantom that was worked over for a client.

P & A Wood.co
https://pa-wood.co.uk/images/new-rolls-royce/after-sales/slider/slide5.jpg

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2019 - 00:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm beginning to question as well how they would look on a Rolls Royce as well! If anyone finds a pic of a converted car, let me know! I love the Phantom with the conversion!

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 567
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2019 - 03:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

O think the phantom looks silly , just my opinion, which I hope everyone respects too.
I've done some mods on my car that people frown at.
Like Omar says it's your car do what you like and makes you happy.
Mike

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2869
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2019 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, who cares about modifications that are "plug n' play" and that can be reversed as easily as performed in the first place?

One should think long and hard about deviating from originality when reversing the process is difficult to impossible, but otherwise, there's really no compelling reason to resist. This is as much thinking about ability to sell to future custodians as anything else. And if you can hand on the "reversal parts," well . . .

But if you want a change, any change, it's a car, it's yours, do it.

Brian, who loves the P&A Wood Phantom, but partly because of exactly how the whole treatment was done

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2019 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The P & A Wood conversion has changed my opinion of the "new" Phantom - it makes it look like a real car.

I just could not like the original front view no matter how hard I tried - it just didn't fit what I expect from a prestige car. Different? Yes, Good aesthetics? No.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2871
Posted on Sunday, 30 June, 2019 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

You and I are of precisely the same aesthetic mind regarding the Goodwood Phantom. And in my case, it's for all variants, some being uglier (the DHC front end) than others. A now deceased member of the US RROC who lived two blocks from me once summed it up in one word: "vulgar." The early ones were better than what has followed.

I really haven't warmed to the entire current design idiom used by RR. Though the Ghost and Dawn are "tolerable" to me, that's all they are. It seems like the flagship Phantom is simply being shrunk, on the whole, but the proportions are less garish when smaller.

I really await the next generation of Rolls-Royce motorcars. Given the age of the Goodwood Phantom design, which has changed little over the years, a next generation has to be coming out soon. But, heaven help us, please keep anyone associated with the Bentley Mulsanne and Bentayga far, far away!

Brian, who thinks the Mulsanne (and I've seen a number of them now) is just plain ugly - Bentley has really "jumped the shark" on aesthetics

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2019 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your car looks great with the real RR lights,there was a car on carandclassic.co.uk with twin Bentley lights and it did not look right with the RR grill.
Your car looks as a real RR should look,don't change it.

Richard Greene
Experienced User

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, 03 July, 2019 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin...Im about ready to agree with you! I tried to find the pic but could not. The logical answer is to just buy a Bentley!
I converted to the current Euro headlights about 2 years ago. I really like them compared to the US quads!

Richard

Thomas J. Bueld
New User
Username: thomas_j_bueld

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 06 July, 2019 - 09:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I own an American version of an 84 Spur and I am happy with the twins on each side. Sure I had to convert to the European standards on import, got rid of the sealed beams but kept the twins. Since the introduction of Cloud III twins were a symbol to me of the make - so I don’t like the single „solid glass“ version which you can have on a Ford, GM, Volkswagen whatsoever. . The inner beams now add to „high mode“ of the outer which even beat the performance of my Mercedes Multibeam LED. In addition the fourfold flashlight is very impressive and unique.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: