Drive shaft "clunking" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Drive shaft "clunking" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charlie J
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 65.1.64.166
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2005 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My new (to me) 1983 Corniche developed an intermittant "clunking" sound that began on bumpy roads. I thought is was the exhaust banging but checked and it wasn't. The sound becomes worse after applying brakes while in reverse backing out of the driveway. The sound is as though the drive shaft was rubbing or actually hitting with each revolution something in the middle of the car underneath. Could it be worn bushings on the rear end causing the angle of the shaft to change under load?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Charlie J
Unregistered guest
Posted From: adsl-33-222-79.lft.bellsouth.net
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2006 - 13:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It seems that as the car warms up the sound decreases. Probably because accumulators are poor. Does it take a year to get an answer from this forum? I don't like George Bush either so how about some help.

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 644
Posted on Friday, 08 September, 2006 - 16:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Charlie,

Before our contributors can help you further; they need some more specific information on the noise and the circumstances when it happens.

Have you checked the underside of the car adjacent to the driveshaft for "witness marks" indicating where the drive shaft is hitting?

Have you done a pump-down test on the hydraulic system and what were the results? Did you check the rear self-levelling system for ride height and operation?

Does the knocking occur when the car is travelling in a straight line; when cornering or both? Does it only occur just after starting, only when hot or continually?

Did you check all the exhaust system mounts for integrity and proper alignment when cold? Did you check the alignment of the pipes/mufflers and their clearances from adjacent body structures?

Don't forget our contributors are "flying blind" unless you can provide information that allows them to suggest possible causes - they do not have the luxury of "one look is worth a thousand words".