Temperature gauge sender Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Temperature gauge sender « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 560
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
My gauge reads low and want to change the sender.
But it seems solid in the housing, how much force should I use to unscrew it? or any tips?
Cheers
Mike

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 11:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spray plenty of WD40 or similar and leave it to work for a few hours with the engine cold. If you can get a tight fitting ring spanner on it you could try giving the other end of the spanner a light tap with a hammer to shock it loose but proceed with caution as the sender is probably soft brass and the manifold is brittle.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 13:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The common WD40 is not designed as a penetrating solution to loosen parts. It is designed as a water displacement product to keep things from sticking.
They do make a product to penetrate "frozen" parts. PB Blaster is another product to do the same and there are others on the market as well.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 14:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael,

Years ago there was a product called "Penetrene" which was very good at freeing frozen threads however it is no longer available.

Some contributors to this forum in the past have suggested a 50%/50% mix of clean SAE30 engine oil and auto transmission fluid will act in a similar way if left for 24 hours before attempting to undo.

I have not used this so cannot vouch for the accuracy however it does seem logical as the low viscosity ATF will "wick" into the threads by capillary action and carry some oil with it to lubricate the threads to ease undoing.

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 15:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, it was our very own Ross K. who mentioned an acetone/ATF combo in this thread:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/21719.html

Kelly

BritishToolWorks.com

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3324
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Kelly,

I remembered the oil/ATF mix but not the acetone/ATF mix; both should do the job.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys I'll try some atf on it and let it soak.
I've had a socket and torque wrench on it but frightened to use to much force how much is safe?
Cheers Mike

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike I always use ATF/ Acetone, but don't spill on paintwork. I f necessary bring engine to working temp, shut off and then soak thread whist it cools down. Worked recently on a Triumph manifold where in the distant past someone had used steel nuts bolts and spring washers to hold the downpipe on .

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Personally, I have never found the ATF/Acetone combo to work well *except* for when one can actually soak parts in a bath of it. Though I imagine if you could wrap a small rag or piece of paper toweling it might work. The acetone is just so volatile that it tends to disappear in the open air very quickly and it also seems to be the "creep inducing" part of this mix.

I would be far more inclined to pick up a can of PB Blaster, Kano Aerokroil, or any of a number of similar products whose purpose is to creep into frozen threads to allow them to be loosened. Even then, applying liberally and allowing to soak in, sometimes several times, will be required.

Brian

Thomas J. Bueld
New User
Username: thomas_j_bueld

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 17:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeTNXbDbHcM

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When all else fails, a touch with the Oxy /acetylene, still is the most effective on seized bolts.However not near flammables and extreme care near aluminium, and never if there is a possibility of Magnesium alloys present, as on many pre war car gearbox and crankcase.
Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: