Spirit on LPG Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Spirit on LPG « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, 22 May, 2019 - 23:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am debating buying a 20,000 series injected Spirit and having LPG fitted, or buying ready converted.
Any advice ? and has anyone run an Lpg Spirit ? Would it be easier and as fuel efficient to convert a Carb engine ?
Thanks Mark

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, 23 May, 2019 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark I have used LPG on a Bentley Eight & aSpirit non injection,I now have a Spirit 24027 inj .
The big engines run better on LPG than petrol,it will depend on how much you drive to work out the saving.LPG will do 15 to 20% less mpg than petrol,
My Inj Spirit is doing 16 mpg ( imperial gallon) in Ireland and petrol ls 6.75€ a gallon so it costs 42c a mile
LPG is 3.65€ a gallon @ 13.5 mpg which is 27c a mile which is a saving of 15c a mile
It will cost 1200 € to convert my car,I will need to travel 8000 miles to start to save money.
In my old cars I was travelling 22,000 to 25,000 miles a year but I am not doing that now.
If you do 8000 a year it is worth it.
The cars I had were better on LPG,if you do convert t it get new 9 mm or 10 mm plug leads fitted as the standard leads are not heavy enough,I had no problems at all over a 3 year period and about 40/50,000 miles

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Thursday, 23 May, 2019 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark my Purple Spirit runs perfectly on LPG.

LPG was once quite popular in Australia until the government smelt an opportunity for free loot and now the the price of buying LPG at service stations has risen and so now the price hardly justifies a conversion cost unless you are driving one hell of a distance daily.

Drawback here for me is the nearest place I can buy LPG is 200 kilometers away so I am looking at fitting an extra LPG tank or converting it to dual petrol and LPG.

Another drawback is the lost of boot space for the LPG tank but I never have a need to carry luggage, and as I don't have a family there is plenty of room in the rear seat area.

LPG puts out far less pollution but I live in an area in the country where pollution is a forgotten word and coal mining is rampantly going to continue until the Great Barrier Reef is destroyed by it permanently and that will sadly be sooner than later.

LPG will not propel the car faster or produce a litre for litre saving.

My experience on driving the Spirit on LPG is there is nothing noticeable in the cars performance but a Spirit is no sprint car.

One thing you must not do is run out of LPG on the road as LPG can't be put into a plastic petrol container and poured into the tank like petrol can. So if you miscalculate and run out you need to call a tilt tray car carrier quickly and foot the tow fee.

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, 23 May, 2019 - 03:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir
On the 2 cars I had converted ( B8 & 1984 Spirit) I did not take the petrol tank out,I fitted a 110 litre LPG tank to the last car which was rhe full width of the boot and not too wide so I had 1/2 the boot remaining.
The 110 LTR gave me 90 usable litres or 20 imp gallons or 240 + miles on LPG The filler was beside the petrol cap with a screw in adaptor so no one would know it was LPG and no unsightly fillers visible, I still had my full petrol tank.
I don't know if I am going to put my new Spirit ( 24027) injection on LPG as petrol is 151c a LTR in Ireland and LPG is 80c a LTR,i think I will be doing about only 5000 miles a year.My spirit is averaging 16 mpg(imp gallon) I would need to keep it a few years to be worth it.

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, 24 May, 2019 - 09:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark I have used LPG on a Bentley Eight & aSpirit non injection,I now have a Spirit 24027 inj .
The big engines run better on LPG than petrol,it will depend on how much you drive to work out the saving.LPG will do 15 to 20% less mpg than petrol,
My Inj Spirit is doing 16 mpg ( imperial gallon) in Ireland and petrol ls 6.75€ a gallon so it costs 42c a mile
LPG is 3.65€ a gallon @ 13.5 mpg which is 27c a mile which is a saving of 15c a mile
It will cost 1200 € to convert my car,I will need to travel 8000 miles to start to save money.
In my old cars I was travelling 22,000 to 25,000 miles a year but I am not doing that now.
If you do 8000 a year it is worth it.
The cars I had were better on LPG,if you do convert t it get new 9 mm or 10 mm plug leads fitted as the standard leads are not heavy enough,I had no problems at all over a 3 year period and about 40/50,000 miles

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, 25 May, 2019 - 23:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your help, my mileage is about 10k miles per year.I will look for a suitable car, or one that has already been converted. It will replace my 230e W123 Merc, which gives 30 mpg cruising on petrol. SWMBO has said 15 mpg petrol is not acceptable !! for a daily driver.
Mark

Graham Hutton
Frequent User
Username: gph

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, 26 May, 2019 - 21:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have mentioned elsewhere on this site my testing to see where I can achieve the best mileage per gallon possible. Today I did around 150 miles, on top of 59 miles already driven. Bear in mind this is about 70/30 highway / suburban. Any way look like I have managed to get around 18 MPG. Now this is due to NOT driving above 90–95 KPH depending on conditions, some of the trip the speed limit was much lower.
In any event I was quite pleased with the result.

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark ,I have booked my 24027 Spirit in to get LPG fitted,I am getting a system fitted with a lambda sensor & ECU, the tank size is 120 LTR ,the filler is going behind the petrol flap,the system is fully automatic and will changeover to gas & petrol as needed.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 615
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 09:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Kevin, keep us updated with progress, I am very interested.
Mark

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 16:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark ,I am going on vacation from 3 Rd of June for 2 weeks and the car is booked in for 24th it will take 4 days

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 18:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had a Shadow 2 on LPG and was excellent but used a lot but then gas was very cheap at 30 cents a liter and petrol was $1 but now it would not be efficient as gas is more than half the cost of petrol and that was the rule to measure its profitability.

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 00:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In Ireland it is about 1/ 2 or a little less and CO 2 is 33% less & nitrogen oxide pollutants are82% less.and it costs 40% less to run and stations are easy to find so it is good in Ireland .

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: