Silver Spirit II thermostat Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Silver Spirit II thermostat « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

silverfo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Looking at the usual suppliers and cannot believe that they want over £100.00 for one. At present the temp gauge doesn't reach the 'normal' area

Is there anything i can check ( although another Century for a sender unit is a bit much IMHO)

BUT what after market stat for lesser cars would fit the Spirit and for less than a quarter of the cost?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 23:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The prob is not with the thermostat. If you're a new owner many question the same observation. They do run cool. Senders can fail over time and connections become dirty.
If you're thermostat failed it would either be fully open or closed and either way you will notice the gauge move big time. Did you take the old one out? Maybe it is encrusted and has to be cleaned. If so maybe time for a coolant flush which is very important on these cars.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 00:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello 'silverfo' - if you're not reaching the normal running temperature, another thing to look at is the cooling fan, which should only free-wheel while the engine is warming up, but it sounds as if it may be engaged all the time. Or the auxiliary fans in front of the radiator may be running when they shouldn't be. A proper reverse flush is a good idea too - small ways can become clogged so coolant isn't reaching where it should so that it stays cool while some parts of the engine are running far too hot.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 06:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

According to Brian Vogel's list of alternative spare parts the following thermostats fit all Silver Shadows from 1965 to 1980 and Silver Spirits from 1981 to 1998: Stant 13558, Gates 33218 or Napa 136. You need to order the gasket also and the gasket may need to be shaved around the edge to fit in the thermostat housing. I don't know where you are located but in the USA these thermostats are available from Advance Auto Parts. I bought the Stant 13558 on Amazon.co.uk for less than €30 a few years ago and it did the job nicely.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 06:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Running cold can be that the car has boiled at some time in its life causing the thermostat lead safety
pellets to melt letting water flow without temp regulation.
IMO use the original correct safety type when replaced.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree with Patrick. Take the old one out and examine and simply test it with hot water and bring to temp. The RR thermostats are well designed with safety factor in mind.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 18:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Use a laser temperature meter point it at the thermostat housing, mine was exactly 89c,but my gauge only read less than a quarter, my sender unit replacement from a Landover works fine now.
Mike

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, 06 May, 2019 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I also had problems with the sender giving incorrect temperature gauge readings. I fitted one for a classic Mini. £4.22.
An Infra-Red thermometer is very useful and are inexpensive.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 02:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very, very likely the fusible plugs have melted or corroded away in the factory recommended thermostat. I find that almost every one that comes in the shop has no plugs left. Like this one last week:

The Stant 13558 works just fine.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 11:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thermostat Issues and Selection

On which I was the third author, and which is now pretty much accepted as acceptable (see Mr. Walter's prior comment) while we three were treated as apostates by the US RROC when the article originally came out.

Brian

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I replaced the thermostat in our 1990 Mulsanne S in June 2017 with a PG58252PA-X from IntroCar.
Looking at their website today the cost of the same 'stat is £56.39 including UK taxes.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Wednesday, 08 May, 2019 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm sorry, but the equivalent of US $73 for a dirt common wax pellet thermostat is obscene. Crewe's prices for the same thing are beyond obscene.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, special about the thermostats used in Crewe V8 engines.

The Stant 13558 is approximately 1/3 that price, and performs the job admirably (and reliably - none of this "change it every 2 years" nonsense). A correctly designed thermostat should last for many, many years (and most do - decades, in fact).

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Wednesday, 08 May, 2019 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The original one used in the above Pix looks to me like it did its job and saved the engine from damage, water still in the system with head gasket etc failing.
Many times when a cooling failing happens the standard type thermostat fail closed completely with costly outcomes with piston liner replacement.
The coolant will still circulate when the thermostat is stuck closed lead pellets are melted with coolant issues.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2019 - 21:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately, the Stant 13558 isn't common in the UK. (I couldn't find one for sale).

From the USA $32.40 + shipping to UK + import duty + taxes
There's probably not a whole lot of difference in the price.
Regards

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 01:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

See Thermostat Issues and Selection

I don't know if NAPA is big in the UK, but the NAPA 136 is the same thermostat. You can pretty much cross reference either the Stant or NAPA to another brand, and provided the dimensions are correct and the opening temperature is correct you're good to go.

Wax pellet automotive thermostats are not rocket science, and provided you have a correct fit and operating temperature they're interchangeable.

Brian

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 612
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 07:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Darryl, I tried to go the Stant route, but failed in the UK. There seems to be no uk equivalent. Importing from the USA will I guess prove no cheaper than the genuine Crewe part.
Mark

Darryl Watson
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 15:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Plus it's quicker and easier to order from the UK with the added benefit of consumer protection laws.

Darryl

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: