Faulty cruise control (buying without... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Faulty cruise control (buying without seeing it) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, 04 May, 2019 - 12:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So with all the help I have everything fixed exept the cruise control.it works sometimes,on reading the work done to the car and reports from the garage Mulsanne They motors diagnosed the fault as a faulty Cruise control module an stated it would need to be replaced.
Has anyone fixed one?
Has anyone removed one and cleaned all the contacts and the connection's ?
Is there a relay somewhere?
Where exactly it the ECU?
I would like to try refore I buy,}

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, 11 May, 2019 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The cruise module is under dash near steering wheel .

Look forward to suggestions my cruise does not work and wonder if module can be repaired

Thomas J. Bueld
New User
Username: thomas_j_bueld

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, 13 May, 2019 - 18:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Check this first -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F03gXZ6j8

There are 3 videos

Thomas J. Bueld
New User
Username: thomas_j_bueld

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 13 May, 2019 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

sorry - 2 videos only

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, 14 May, 2019 - 04:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Thomas,it in the paint shop until Wed and this is my next job.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 - 12:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin there is the right way, the wrong way and the easy way to fix cruise control.

Right way: Refer to the workshop manual and understand all that is printed, then read everything on this forum using the search function to locate information, then purchase all scan tools to diagnose the problem. That may or may not work. There is nothing surer to drive an auto electrician to electric shock treatment than an intermittent fault. Nasty stuff but usually a lose connection especially a loose earth wire is the swine. Enjoy.

The wrong way: Do the Brezhnev and pretend you have cruise control and it is working. Play with the control stalk occasionally to re-enforce a comfort feeling that all is well.

The easy way: Remove Cruise Control ECU from vehicle. Place on fence. Blast with Double Barrel Shottie, 12 gauge buck shot.

Seriously though Cruise Control is the one thing that always appears to go south on used cars. Its a pest of a thing.

I am watching this post closely because I would wager a hefty bet that both my Camargue and Spirit have malfunctioning cruise controls. I just feel it so much I know it is so.

But now a long shot and yes I have found this before and I place it under intermittent fault.
So you go to check the fuse for cruise control and it appears okay because its got power on both sides of the fuse. Then you pull the entire car apart relying on the fact that you know its got power. Sneakily one electrical connector going to the fuse is loose ! So it produces an on again off again situation. Make certain you check that with a test light or multimeter before you croak good drinking, betting and good time girl loot on your local repairer. Its rare but it does happen.

Now an aside. I worked on a Volvo truck the other day to find some fool in Sweden had designed a new type fuse that looks like the old type of plastic fuse but prevents checking because the two little spots on the top of the fuse are covered by plastic. Insane and just another reason why I think Swedes in the design department should not be drinking the spirits.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 - 12:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cruise control fault can be traced to your module, electrical connections(clean and check for power) and the rubber bellows that will usually leak due to age and engine bay heat (easy fix) The bellows unit has a solenoid (electromagnet-simple coil) with 2 conductors. Check for continuity..if it is shot the module could be ok.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3302
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 - 14:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

100% chance of a fault with the rubber bellows/vacuum connections IMHO - first place to start then the chain linkage adjustment if fitted on the Spirits then the electrical connections then the module.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 - 16:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My '84 Spirit has cruise control. I'm sure it works perfectly, but I've never used it in the 10 years I've had the car. It's the only thing that keeps you awake, see? Checking the speedo on long straights is something useful to do ...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: